Expedition vs Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The limitation is payload on these 1/2 tons you almost always hit payload before anything else.

They are way more capable than they used to be, but if you want to operate on the upper scale of the capabilities of the truck a HD is a much better choice.

I see it all the time, 1/2 ton pulling a double axle travel trailer, golf cart and luggage in the bed, dragging chains and swaying all over the highway.

Know your vehicles specs and operate within those limits, not just you on the road.

Reaction score
Yet these new trucks with 13k towing capacity still run 6 lug axles and wheels/tires that only have weight ratings of around 2600 lbs

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The limitation is payload on these 1/2 tons you almost always hit payload before anything else.

They are way more capable than they used to be, but if you want to operate on the upper scale of the capabilities of the truck a HD is a much better choice.

I see it all the time, 1/2 ton pulling a double axle travel trailer, golf cart and luggage in the bed, dragging chains and swaying all over the highway.

Know your vehicles specs and operate within those limits, not just you on the road.

Yet these new trucks with 13k towing capacity still run 6 lug axles and wheels/tires that only have weight ratings of around 2600 lbs

But the wheel studs on these new trucks are made of new tech - unobtanium or adamantium - didn't you know?

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Engineering is not your strong suit. Lmao.

Clearly, neither is sarcasm.

And clearly, we're both not mechanical engineers by trade or tow 8000lbs+ enclosed trailers often either. The former would tend to advocate for a HD pickup since they're generally well versed in rear axle weight ratings, GVWR, GCWR, tongue weight (which acts as a lever on the rear axle with respect to bumper towing), etc.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clearly, neither is sarcasm.

And clearly, we're both not mechanical engineers by trade or tow 8000lbs+ enclosed trailers often either. The former would tend to advocate for a HD pickup since they're generally well versed in rear axle weight ratings, GVWR, GCWR, tongue weight (which acts as a lever on the rear axle with respect to bumper towing), etc.
I am a mechanical engineer. Used to be a GM transmission tech.. I am not advocating for anything except to share factual information.

GM has a trailering book that has all the information you seek. I would post it here but it's a PDF and not a link. If you Google GM trailering guide should be the first thing that comes up. I don't have a copy yet of the 2023 book but you can look up the 2022 book that has capacities and calculators for everything that GM makes that can tow, even breaks down trailer types and cab and trim configurations.

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a mechanical engineer. Used to be a GM transmission tech.. I am not advocating for anything except to share factual information.

GM has a trailering book that has all the information you seek. I would post it here but it's a PDF and not a link. If you Google GM trailering guide should be the first thing that comes up. I don't have a copy yet of the 2023 book but you can look up the 2022 book that has capacities and calculators for everything that GM makes that can tow, even breaks down trailer types and cab and trim configurations.

It actually doesn't break it down by trim configurations and in every single chart, it has the following disclaimer:

Before you buy a vehicle or use it to haul people or cargo, carefully review the vehicle loading section of the Owner’s Manual and check the carrying capacity
of your specific vehicle on the label on the inside of the driver’s doorjamb

They say this because, as I've said before, it's specific for each trim and how each vehicle is optioned.

Ram is the only manufacturer that makes it somewhat easier for someone to find out the capacities because their tool is VIN specific:

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The girlfriend has a 2022 Expedition Limited Max rental while her BMW X3 is being repaired from being rear ended.

She really likes it and local Ford dealers have much better inventory than the GM products. We might end up ordering a 2023 Expedition Max Limited with the Stealth Performance Package from Granger Ford.

While the GM products may be better, for us, these are still interchangeable and there's no way I'm going to commit to spending $70+k without dealers/rental car places having a similarly configured SUV to test drive.

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Also, I'm not inclined to play the "find a dealer with an allocation" game that GM has going on.

signal-2022-12-14-120640_002.jpeg

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The girlfriend has a 2022 Expedition Limited Max rental while her BMW X3 is being repaired from being rear ended.

She really likes it and local Ford dealers have much better inventory than the GM products. We might end up ordering a 2023 Expedition Max Limited with the Stealth Performance Package from Granger Ford.

While the GM products may be better, for us, these are still interchangeable and there's no way I'm going to commit to spending $70+k without dealers/rental car places having a similarly configured SUV to test drive.

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Also, I'm not inclined to play the "find a dealer with an allocation" game that GM has going on.

View attachment 387435
If she likes it roll with it. I don't think anything in the full size class comes close to the GM products. I'm a Toyota fan at heart and couldn't stomach the 23 Sequoia when interior room and efficiency was a priority for us.

There is a reason you see tons of FOMOCO products and stellantis stuff on the lots. Fleet sales hurt resale value too so im kinda glad you don't see as many GM full sizes at rental places.

But that's the benefit of variety. Something for all of us to like, enjoy, and purchase. Good luck!

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If she likes it roll with it. I don't think anything in the full size class comes close to the GM products. I'm a Toyota fan at heart and couldn't stomach the 23 Sequoia when interior room and efficiency was a priority for us.

There is a reason you see tons of FOMOCO products and stellantis stuff on the lots. Fleet sales hurt resale value too so im kinda glad you don't see as many GM full sizes at rental places.

But that's the benefit of variety. Something for all of us to like, enjoy, and purchase. Good luck!

There are pros and cons for each full size.

I'm not of the opinion that the gap between GM products and others is so wide that it would cause the average consumer to not consider anything other than GM products or to endure significantly longer waits. However, I do expect that sentiment to be more frequent on a GM forum due to some confirmation bias.

I'm not a fan of the 2023 Sequoia because it's not offered in the extended wheel base, doesn't use independent rear suspension, and doesn't offer a non-hybrid option.

I'm not too concerned with resale value because all of our cars have over 125k miles on them. When I buy them, I assume they're going to be worth $0 by the time I'm done with them. In fact, 2 out of my 4 previous cars have grenaded their engines close to their expected end of life. My 335i decided to self ventilate through the bottom and take out the steering rack while I was at VIR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989