Exhaust Smell Inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extended warranties are a waste of money, they are all nonsense and don't cover s*it
I agree for the most part. Although I did have one pay off ONE time. Just before my warranty was up my differential and ring and pinion went out. It was one of the few things actually fully covered by the warranty. But they tried to get out of it, they even flew an adjuster up here from Houston to go to the dealer service dept to see it for HIMSELF that it needed to be rebuilt, and to inspect my mileage to confirm that I was indeed still under warranty. They reluctantly agreed to pay for everything.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That is what I always say, they are not in business to spend money, they are in business to KEEP money. I ran shops and had to deal with them and had to wait for inspections too. So much fine print on those contracts.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
there is really no way unless you have a exhaust leak, which presumably you should be able to hear, grab a 9v powered co2 detector and put it in the vehicle and make sure you are not going cray cray, lol, if it goes off record it with your phone and take it to the dealer.
i can sometimes smell a gassy smell from the exhaust from outside the vehicle if it's cold out and it's running rich at first startup, like when it's really humid or almost foggy out., etc.

Might be better served to use a CO detector. There's way too much CO2 in the atmosphere.... ;)

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talk to a pro right away, even if it's just a suspicion. Don't screw around with something like this.

OP
OP
M

MobileHomie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked out the rig yesterday, no broken manifold bolts. We put it on the hoist, there is more smudge on the tail pipe than I expected and he asked if it was running rich or throwing CEL, no to the above. There are no slip joints/clamps, only welded pipe and bolt flange connections. Only "leak" we saw is the weep hole in the muffler, it is smudged also.

Is there an air inlet somewhere in the back?

Most vehicles draw fresh air from the cowl and this one would have exit vents in the D pillars.
There is no tears in the weather stripping around the lift-gate or back window.
We put a new cabin air filter in...

I did ask what that gizmo is next to the fuel tank and was told it is the charcol canister, under the vehicle?

He asked if I was sure it was exhaust I smelled and not fuel...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep