Exhaust Smell Inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MobileHomie

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Yukon Denali 6.2L and 8 speed that we bought used Aug. of 2020 with 34,*** on the clock. Its up to 47,*** and change now.
I have always noticed an exhaust smell inside the vehicle when it is stopped at idle, even at start up in the driveway. Are there any known exhaust leaks under the hood? At first I thought it was coming from the tail pipe and making its way in through the vent system, I am not so sure now as it seems to happen anytime I am parked at idle with out any regard for where the wind is coming from. Also makes no difference if I switch the HVAC to recirculate.
A coupld of times I have noticed it at highway speeds, kicking the cruze off at 85mph and idlleing down towards a ramp...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is really no way unless you have a exhaust leak, which presumably you should be able to hear, grab a 9v powered co2 detector and put it in the vehicle and make sure you are not going cray cray, lol, if it goes off record it with your phone and take it to the dealer.
i can sometimes smell a gassy smell from the exhaust from outside the vehicle if it's cold out and it's running rich at first startup, like when it's really humid or almost foggy out., etc.

OP
OP
M

MobileHomie

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome guys and the quick responses.
What is the warranty on these things?
Dealer will be a pain as they are two hours away.
The CO2 detector is a great idea!

Overall I am happy with this vehicle, its our second Denali. The first, an '06, I sold to our middle son, sure wish he would wash it...Oh well, its a great rig for his young family.

Is there a way to turn off the adaptive cruise? It activates way too soon on the highway when it senses a slower vehicle. Oh, speaking of the cruise....GM has had the controls on the turn signal stalk since they were vacuum operated in the '70s now the same buttons operate the rear wiper, DOH!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What warranty did you get when you bought it? If you got a used vehicle 1 year 12k miles, you are past that on the mileage. Looks like when you first bought you were right at the edge of factory warranty on time and under on the mileage.

Factory warranty: 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain

OP
OP
M

MobileHomie

Reaction score
What warranty did you get when you bought it? If you got a used vehicle 1 year 12k miles, you are past that on the mileage. Looks like when you first bought you were right at the edge of factory warranty on time and under on the mileage.

Factory warranty: 3 yr/36,000 mi basic, 5 yr/60,000 mi powertrain
Thank you sir.
I didn't buy an extened warranty and trust dealers less than the .gov

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome guys and the quick responses.
What is the warranty on these things?
Dealer will be a pain as they are two hours away.
The CO2 detector is a great idea!

Overall I am happy with this vehicle, its our second Denali. The first, an '06, I sold to our middle son, sure wish he would wash it...Oh well, its a great rig for his young family.

Is there a way to turn off the adaptive cruise? It activates way too soon on the highway when it senses a slower vehicle. Oh, speaking of the cruise....GM has had the controls on the turn signal stalk since they were vacuum operated in the '70s now the same buttons operate the rear wiper, DOH!
"SOME" vehicles have the option to switch to regular cruise, it just depends on the options that it was built with, check the owners manual it explains how to switch it if you have the option. it's in the cruise control section.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an exhaust smell in my Suburban once. Turned out that the rear hatch gasket/weatherstripping had come loose above the bumper and was hanging. After I fixed that, no more exhaust smell in the passenger compartment.
Not saying that's what your issue is, but it couldn't hurt to check it out.