Exhaust leak killing O2 sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a poorly fixed exhaust leak between the manifold and cat on the left side of my engine. Long story short, I got a piece of pipe with the flange and O2 sensor mount and have them clamped together with one of those metal band repair clamps. The cuts are not perfect, and it definitely leaks a good bit upstream of the cat and O2. after it had been driven a while with the full break, the O2 sensor was shot, so I replaced, it, but it is now showing bad again (P0134). The vehicle runs open loop all the time, my scanner says sys failure. I have also recently been getting an occasional P0300, random misfire that causes the check engine light to flash.

Could the leaky exhaust be causing the O2 failure? and could those together cause it to misfire. It never runs rough even when it says its missing, so it isn't anything horrible. Maybe poor O2 calculations fouled up my plugs on that side of the engine? if I clear the code and make it try to run closed loop, it goes pretty crazy on the fuel trim, saw it running +50% under acceleration. I'm assuming this is because of nonsense data from the O2 sensor?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a no circuit code, means its not getting power, so check your fuses, marked ign iirc.

the flashing cel is bad. you either need a tune up like last year, or your cats are clogged up. those are your two most common causes for a flashing cel and a po300 code, aka multiple misfires.

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a no circuit code, means its not getting power, so check your fuses, marked ign iirc.

the flashing cel is bad. you either need a tune up like last year, or your cats are clogged up. those are your two most common causes for a flashing cel and a po300 code, aka multiple misfires.

Fuses are good, and I believe the same code was set when the last one died. What are you suggesting in way of a "tune up"? I don't think it was me that brought it up last year. Clogged cats are most definitely an option, they have 340,000 miles on them.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuses are good, and I believe the same code was set when the last one died. What are you suggesting in way of a "tune up"? I don't think it was me that brought it up last year. Clogged cats are most definitely an option, they have 340,000 miles on them.

tune up, plug and new wires, simple work really.

its possible the o2 is flat out dead. what brand you using? i like to stick with all ac delco sensors when ever possible.

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tune up, plug and new wires, simple work really.

its possible the o2 is flat out dead. what brand you using? i like to stick with all ac delco sensors when ever possible.
Plugs and wires are all pretty new, I'd have to check my logs, but definitely less than 30k, and they are good iridium plugs. Wires are actually newer, I bought the longer ones for the square coils and just ran those for a while, swapped them out when I got a deal on a set of the right ones. It's really running great other than the O2 issue, and some recent trouble making oil pressure on a cold start, but that's another issue...

O2 was acdelco, I always get the good ones. Interestingly mine takes the alternative connector listed as "canada built models", but the door sticker says it was build in texas.

The exhaust leak is giving a faulty reading to the O2 sensor.

This makes sense. However it seems like the leak (or something) is actually killing them, because it runs fine with no codes for a few thousand, then it completely dies. Obviously the underlying issue needs to be fixed, I don't want to keep throwing money at sensors... At least it's a super easy job. I was more curious if anyone could explain what would actually be killing it from this situation

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This makes sense. However it seems like the leak (or something) is actually killing them, because it runs fine with no codes for a few thousand, then it completely dies. Obviously the underlying issue needs to be fixed, I don't want to keep throwing money at sensors... At least it's a super easy job. I was more curious if anyone could explain what would actually be killing it from this situation

Any chemicals in the air intake area from filter oil to gasket sealant used to do intakes? Did you check the wire harness?

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chemicals in the air intake area from filter oil to gasket sealant used to do intakes? Did you check the wire harness?
Haven't sprayed anything in a long time. Ill take a look and see if the intake looks dirty at all. Wiring harness looks ok. I'll get a meter on the wires and make sure all seems good. I've been having some electrical issues due to corrosion and mice (they built a nest in my main electrical box and chewed the insulation off a ton of wires :893Chainsaw-Smilie-), so this could be next..

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a BIG clue!

So there have literally been a few wires broken for years now, but they clearly aren't anything important somehow... Besides that, plenty more are holding on by 1 strand. it's truly remarkable it's held up so long. Might be time to splice in new pieces for everything that looks bad. It's right on the main cluster of wires from the fuse box, close to the fuses, so it's not going to be easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep