Exhaust decisions... Corsa vs Magnaflow 12909 - '16 Denali

Discussion in 'Performance' started by bamachem, Jul 7, 2019.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. bamachem

bamachem TYF Newbie

Name:
    Andy
    Yeah, agree. I'm trying to decide if I want to swap to a Magnaflow muffler onto the Corsa piping and sell the Corsa Sport or just pull the whole thing and go back to stock pipe with a Magnaflow 12909 and copy-cat tip.

Anybody want a deal on a lightly used Corsa cat-back for a 6.2L Denali XL?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  2. RThomasII

RThomasII Full Access Member

Name:
    Rich
    Dropped the Yukon off this morning to have the Magnaflow 12909 installed. I decided to leave the flapper and all resonators in place. Sounds MUCH better than I thought it would. There is a slight vibration in the floor now that I didn't notice before but absolutely zero DRONE. Cabin sounds basically the same.

Sorry... No install pics but I'll post some before and after sound clips when I get a chance. I was looking for a more aggressive sound but wanted to keep the stock appearance. I think this checks all the boxes....
    20190924_163512.jpg

1sikryd likes this.
  3. G00se

G00se Full Access Member

Name:
    Matt
    Before and after sound clips? Thinking of doing this. To install, Just need to cut out old one and replace?

4. RThomasII

RThomasII Full Access Member

Name:
    Rich
    Sound clips are coming. I purchased the muffler from NorcalSS and he said I need to give it a good month to break in soundwise. I rarely drive the Denali so it's gonna take a while.....

The install apparently was pretty straight forward once I found the right shop. The job itself is a simple rip and replace. The 12909 is a center/offset design and the factory muffler is offset/offset so the Magnaflow has to be installed at a slight angle. The 1st shop I went to wanted to argue the OEM exhaust diameter and required me to buy 10ft of stainless pipe in addition to labor to do the job. The 2nd shop looked at the truck and muffler and the guy literally said "Come back in about 2 hours. We do these upgrades all day long." Moral of the story.... Unless you can do the work yourself, make sure you find a muffler shop that knows what they are doing.

G00se likes this.
  5. 1sikryd

1sikryd Member

Name:
    George

I went the same route on my RST. Peel back the carpet between the 2nd and 3rd rows and slap in some sound deadening mats. Also throw some under the rear storage. box. 20190504_160237.jpg

RThomasII and gat0r like this.