Everyone Running BFG AT's-Opinions Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jteams

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Folks, New to the forum as of today. You guys have some killer rides I must say! I've been sucked in for about 4 hours now......Makes me sad I can't mod mine due to it being a company car.

As stated, I have a 13' Yukon with 20" stock wheels as my company car and its about to need new rubber. I need some extra traction at times and I have had BFG AT's on my Jeeps and trucks in the past and loved them. My question is did those of you running them notice a big difference in road noise and ride? I drive alot of highway miles so I don't want to mess with the ride and noise. When I had them on my Jeeps/trucks it felt and sounded the same as the tires I replaced but I'm not sure on the Yukon. I am open to similar tires also if anyone has a recommendation. Any input is appreciated.

Lyon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run the BFG TA KOs on a Land Rover and wasn't all that happy with them. They were pretty loud and they hurt fuel economy. Since then I've switched to the Nokian Rotiiva AT and have been really happy. I've had them on the two Suburbans and will likely get a set for the Yukon XL. They're quiet and don't have a significant impact on mpg. I don't know where you're located but they're also Severe Service labeled for use in snow. They provide great traction on wet roads and I've been pleased with the treat life. I've got almost 20,000 miles on the current set and they still have 60% tread left. Given that it's a 3/4 ton, they've been used to tow quite a bit and I drive relatively aggressively, that's pretty darn good in my book.

The only downside is that they're not cheap but if you're comparing them to the BFGs the difference shouldn't be all that much.

docster

Reaction score
I have had them on previous jeeps and trucks. Then I got Cooper discoverer at3's on my grand cherokee. Quiet, better traction everywhere (dry wet snow mud dirt )vs bfg, and 60k mile warranty for less money. I would not hesitate to get those again.

OP
OP
J

jteams

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I appreciate it. Anybody else care to chime in?

Kerrville15

Reaction score
I've always ran BFG A/Ts up until my 2 new vehicles when I switched to Toyo M/Ts. I wasn't impressed with the BFGs the way I used to be; they didn't get very good tread life from them, they started cracking on the sidewall at around 20,000 miles on both sets, & they're overpriced. With that being said if you do decide to put them on road noise should not be an issue. The new Yukons/Suburbans are so quite inside with all of the sound deadening they have that my wife can't even tell she's running a mud tire on her Yukon so I know you wouldn't notice an A/T tire.

03chevyhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
BFG's are terrible do not go that route... Nitto terra grappler or coopers

coffeyman76

Reaction score
I had the BFG's twice and no luck with them. They were loud and simply didn't last. Granted this was a few years ago.

I strongly second the Nitto Terra Grapplers. First off they look incredible, really sharp and there are dual sidewall options to perfect your look. Aggressive but not obscene. More importantly they are quiet and last.

I swear by them now. I have 285's on my Tahoe and I got 60k miles out of the first set and have another 30k on these with plenty of life to go. I had 40k on my Avalanche when I traded it and I bet they another 20 left. They haven't required obsessive rotation either, just keep em turned and the car aligned and you are all set.

From my experience with Goodyear (crap) and BFG on the A/T side Nitto has a loyal follower here. I am not the only one, they are probably the most popular non-stock A/T tire I would think based on most of the forums and my local tire shop. I hear the Toyo's are comparable but can't speak to them personally.

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new set of Michelin LTX2's from the dealer after some ride issues under warranty. What a difference. The smoothest riding Yukon I've ever had....

2001 TX Tahoe

Reaction score
I've had 2 sets of BFG KO's on my 2001 Tahoe. Great tires, each set lasted around 70k miles. Performed excellent off-road on rocky CO trails. Just put a set of KO2's on my 2016 Yukon XL. They are E rated compared to the old ones that are D rated. Compared to the Tahoe, the Yukon is so quiet that road noise from the tires is noticeable but barely. Only if you really try to listen for it. And mostly only with the windows down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons