Ethanol Free Gasoline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've experienced mine stabilizing performance wise after the 4th or 5th tank on straight E85 before. Each tankful was getting higher and higher with regards to alcohol content too. In addition, mine seems to be always re-analyzing what's in the tank and adjusting the alcohol content, even if just a percent or two when the same fuel is in the tank for a week or four.

Well, my light comes on when there's still 5 gallons on board so I figure for 26 gallons usually. So if yours is similar 22 and 4. The final numbers depend on what the remnant is too and I take that into account as well. The numbers wouldn't be as high is we were pouring that mix on top of 87 that was still in the tank.
Mine comes on with 7-8 gallons left

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon Denali XL
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine comes on with 7-8 gallons left

Send me an email and I'll send you my little excel spreadsheet calculator for figuring it out. It's not perfect but gets real close. Meaning, there is not a linear difference between the alcohol content of ethanol and its effective R+M octane rating. E85 at 70% will have a different octane rating than E85 at 75 or 80 percent for example.

[email protected]

Pscott

Reaction score
I've experienced mine stabilizing performance wise after the 4th or 5th tank on straight E85 before. Each tankful was getting higher and higher with regards to alcohol content too. In addition, mine seems to be always re-analyzing what's in the tank and adjusting the alcohol content, even if just a percent or two when the same fuel is in the tank for a week or four.

Well, my light comes on when there's still 5 gallons on board so I figure for 26 gallons usually. So if yours is similar 22 and 4. The final numbers depend on what the remnant is too and I take that into account as well. The numbers wouldn't be as high is we were pouring that mix on top of 87 that was still in the tank.
What kinda mpg after 4tanks because I lost mpg when trying one tank not sure if it’s worth it?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kinda mpg after 4tanks because I lost mpg when trying one tank not sure if it’s worth it?

Worth it how? If you are looking at it strictly from a cost point of view, you'll want to compute for cents per mile. My truck runs awesome on E85 and gets better mileage on low levels of alcohol versus running 93 octane gasoline. But to determine whether it's worth it or not, I have to consider the prices of the various fuels.

Elmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
While driving through VA today (I live in NY) I came across a WaWa gas station that had "Ethanol Free Gasoline". I've never heard of this and didn't have time to google it then and there but did a quick search now and some sites say no changes and others say you can get increased mileage and better for older cars.

My '08 Yukon XL Denali says to use Premium but I've always used Regular, and I'm curious if anyone uses this gas and their thoughts on it?

My owners manual says 87 octane or higher but the sticker on the fuel door recommends premium.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt