Esky rack: how hard is it to get the end caps OFF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Mounted up all of the hardware/side rails/etc. of my Escalade roof rack, and I put the front caps on -- but I left the rear caps off for the moment because I don't have my cross rails yet.

I can either leave the rear end caps off at the moment and wait for the rails to come in (which I understand need to be inserted into the side rails from one of the ends). Or, I can put the caps all on IF THEY'RE EASY TO TAKE OFF later.

They look like they'd be kind of tough to get off. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

/< / /2 /<

mdtahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pop right back off easily. I would just put them on if I was you.

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 different styles of attachment, one has a "post" and "hole" affair, the other a "blade" into a "V" style holder that has those bastard barbs that bite into the "blade".

Those would be a little harder to remove.

I don't know which is the updated version, but the instructions that came with my endcaps showed both versions (mine were post and hole).

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine have the "S-clips" you're talking about. But, the caps also have two little tabs that want to click into recesses on the mounting side. I'd imagine that once they're clicked in, they might be a bear to get out.

They're not HUGE tabs, though, so maybe they're not that bad.

Currently, I'm still running around with the rear caps off. Looks pretty stupid, but I'll wait for a little more input before I pop them on then wish I hadn't.

Anyone else want to weigh in?

Thanks!

Fyrcaptain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd wait to be on the safe side, I didn't get the cross rails so after I installed the rails and got the end caps from the painter they went on.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Pretty sure that an attempt to deliver the cross rails to me was made on Friday. So, I'm hoping that they're here tomorrow, and I can get them and the caps on tomorrow.

zach2011

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I ran around with my end caps off, lol. Didn't like it so much and it looked really odd. I'd just wait. They're a little tough to get off but nothing hard, just be careful.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Well, an automated email from gmpartsdirect.com says they'll be here tomorrow -- so, just one more day without end caps. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh