Esky built 9/04, several powertrain questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has the six liter vortec. Has towing package. Boss just gave it to me to use for work. I'm looking it over tonight (always do that first thing with any vehicle I'm going to drive) and I have an oil pressure gauge that deflects all the way to to the right with ignition on (engine not running) and stays that way all the time when the engine is running. What is the likely cause for that? Also it is due for an oil change. How much oil, and what is recommended? Finally, pulled the trans dipstick and instead of pinkish red, I have pinkish brown. So I'm assuming it needs a change. Thoughts? Shifts smooth. 155k miles, not sure if it has been changed before or not. If it was, it would have been done under a Cadillac maintenance program -- boss said he tends to neglect things after the warranty expires (he is original owner). What trans is in it btw?

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Has the six liter vortec. Has towing package. Boss just gave it to me to use for work. I'm looking it over tonight (always do that first thing with any vehicle I'm going to drive) and I have an oil pressure gauge that deflects all the way to to the right with ignition on (engine not running) and stays that way all the time when the engine is running. What is the likely cause for that? Also it is due for an oil change. How much oil, and what is recommended? Finally, pulled the trans dipstick and instead of pinkish red, I have pinkish brown. So I'm assuming it needs a change. Thoughts? Shifts smooth. 155k miles, not sure if it has been changed before or not. If it was, it would have been done under a Cadillac maintenance program -- boss said he tends to neglect things after the warranty expires (he is original owner). What trans is in it btw?

Oil pressure sending unit is bad. It's on the back of the intake manifold. It's a pain to get to but they all are on 5.3/6.0's. Cheap easy fix.

As for the brownish/red Trans fluid, just drop the pan, change the filter and refill. Do it again in 3 months. Don't flush if you don't know the service history.

OP
OP
S

strad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pressure sending unit is bad. It's on the back of the intake manifold. It's a pain to get to but they all are on 5.3/6.0's. Cheap easy fix.

As for the brownish/red Trans fluid, just drop the pan, change the filter and refill. Do it again in 3 months. Don't flush if you don't know the service history.

Yeah that sounds like a plan. I know automatics can be sensitive to a change especially if they haven't been serviced properly. I'm just glad the fluid doesn't look worse than it does. I'll look into that sender. The boss pretty much gave me carte blanch to do whatever it needs and he's paying for it. We do property management so lots of driving around. At least I get to do it in an Escalade! It's a pretty nice truck actually, nicer than my 99 Tahoe but I think my Tahoe currently is better maintained.

Edit: so is it a 4L70E? And would a towing package car have a deep pan or a shallow pan?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie

Latest posts