Escalade/Yukon XL/ Yukon for the wife.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a reliable grocery getter for the wife and kiddo. Looking for either white or grey/silver only. I hear the 4l60e is a problem with these rigs... What is the normal life expectancy for these transmissions? I know heat kills transmissions.

I came across the rig below and was curious if the headlights are any good. It's dark here all winter and I want something with decent headlights. Are the yukon projector housings better than the tahoe type light housings?

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/ctd/5778496659.html

I am also interested in the below rigs.

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/5800813369.html

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/672863905/overview/

How is gas mileage in real world highway commuting with the 6.0 vs 5.3? Again, reliability is key.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5.3 real world will be 13-14 city and 16-17 hwy. reliability is good on both when well maintained.

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so the ESV is out of the question, along with the suburban and yukon XL. That size is just too big.

So now we are looking for a Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade. Wanting captains chairs in the 2nd row and leather/heated seats.

What models allow both the driver and the passenger to adjust tilt/lumbar/lower seat cushion to tilt and adjust? I have a bad back and if the wife is driving I need a rig that I can adjust my seat comfortably as we commute to work and family get togethers.

Thanks in advance!

We were going to check this vehicle out, but want to make sure it fits the bill before wasting the salesman's time and ours.

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/ctd/5816593630.html

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, after a long exhausting day of looking at vehicles this is my take away... Every rig I looked at seemed as though they decided at one point and time to play bumper cars... Dings/scratches/paint transfers etc. I didn't see a single one for sale that didn't have major scratches/paint flaws or rust. I have a 2001 F250 and my wife has a 1999 explorer and both of our rigs looked better maintained than any we saw today. (My wife is not easy on her car by any means, before she met me she never changed the oil, just kept adding... That's another topic in of itself) I did come across 3 escalades that I thought were respectable. 2 are 2005 models, asking $15k for one and $16k for the other. The 2006 model they want $19,000!!!

I did like that even the LT models on suburbans/tahoe etc allowed both driver and passenger 8 way adjustable seating. WAY TO GO CHEVY! I wish our fords did that!

I looked at 8 different ones today and I am burned out. I will try again tomorrow by looking at the 4 that are left for sale in my state that look halfway decent.

We have found out that since they all pretty much come with the seat adjustments the only other must have on a vehicle is low miles and the second row needs to be captains chairs vs the bench seat. So I would think we should be able to find something eventually.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That 2005 blue platinum edition blue esv is gorgeous! I want it! Lol. Dang 19k on a gmt800 platform esky is cheap! Here in socal they weren't going were under 20k a year and a half ago when I was looking. Most of the caddies I looked at were in the ballpark of 25k and were not in that good of a condition. So you've got some deals haha. Anyways I bought my 2006 xl Denali in February of 2015, in novemeber of 2015 at 83k my 4L65E trans have out. Bummer but now that it's rebuilt my trans is a tank. And if you end up with the 6.0, which I highly reccommend, it'll have a trans cooler and you can upgrade to a bigger trans cooler which will help prolong transmission life. I put a bigger trans cooler on my rebuilt trans and it's the best 300 bucks I've spent on a kid in my rig.

OP
OP
alaska_guy

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchased a white 2004 cadillac escalade today. It was a single owner with 91k miles. It has a few scratches on the front bumper but otherwise in overall great shape. The car has a 10 day return/exchange policy and I decided to get the 3 year extended warranty as I was worried about the trans/front diff going out. The vehicle is getting detailed and carpets shampoo'd. Paid $11,500. Felt that was a good deal considering. Wifes birthday is coming up here shortly so I am going to drive her into town tonight and pick it up. I am going to tell her we are going to look at it and surprise her with the keys.

The wheels have oxidation but the interior is in GREAT shape and considering what I paid, I feel the condition reflected the price.

;)

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome man! Congrats on a great buy! Welcome to the club! Post some pics when you go to pick it up so we can see! Haha

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchased a white 2004 cadillac escalade today. It was a single owner with 91k miles. It has a few scratches on the front bumper but otherwise in overall great shape. The car has a 10 day return/exchange policy and I decided to get the 3 year extended warranty as I was worried about the trans/front diff going out. The vehicle is getting detailed and carpets shampoo'd. Paid $11,500. Felt that was a good deal considering. Wifes birthday is coming up here shortly so I am going to drive her into town tonight and pick it up. I am going to tell her we are going to look at it and surprise her with the keys.

The wheels have oxidation but the interior is in GREAT shape and considering what I paid, I feel the condition reflected the price.

;)

Should be a happy lady. Nice job. Look forward to the pics!!

Going thru the same decisions. At the end of the day, if the wife is happy with her DD then your life is a lot easier and heck you get to enjoy the truck too. Maybe even mod it a bit. Especially hanging around here long enough :cool:

Last edited: