Escalade Roof Rack and How to

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

13yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank for the quick reply, I didn't even notice when they went to paint. Are the caps the same all the way through gmt800 and gmt900? or some variation?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to use the cross rails next summer when I help my family friend tote around her stand up paddle board and kayak bringing them up to the mountains. So I'm gonna need the cross rails. Plus I'd like to complete the look. And I'm in big bear city, ca.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a little clip that goes inside the end caps for the escalade rack. I was told this rack came from a 2010 escalade, however I'm open to the reality that may be incorrect. Picture attached. All help appreciated.

Just thought I'd pass along the same issue I had with one of my Esky caps and where I found a new cap. Copied this from my build thread with a bit more explanation. Hope this helps.

"The front passenger Esky roof rack cap blew off just before I parked the truck for the painted parts wait.

Turns out the metal ring that is actually attached to the inside of the Esky cap and makes a positive seat on the base post, had come off the cap and seated itself on the base post, thus not allowing the cap to sit secure and snug when I clipped it in. Probably had been taken off too many times over the years since it was first installed OEM.

I searched eBay, but could not find that particular side. Finally after a more detailed search, I came across newgmparts.com. I called them up and had a brand new, paint-to-match Esky roof rack cap in my hands a few days later. $42.31 shipped.

I had some left over OEM paint and clear coat fromautomotivetouchup.com and a few coats later, it was installed.
"

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got those pesky little anchor nuts for the 4 middle spots on my esky racks. Took GMparts.com almost a month to get them to me after I ordered them. Shooed around for a week at every home improvement store I could find here in the inland empire trying to replicate them. Couldn't find anything remotely close so I sucked it up and called dealerships. The dealerships wanted 20 bucks a pop. I said no thanx and emailed customer service @ GM parts.com. Took a couple tries for them to figure out what I was looking for since that part number is now discontinued. But I got them. Roughly 7 bucks a pop plus shipping. So it was like 40 something bucks all together. If anyone else is looking for them email them the part number and I emailed them the original guys pic of the plastic wrapping it came in with the barcode and they will send you back a direct search link to input the number and it will come up. Otherwise the standard search on their website won't pull up the part listing. Got them put on this afternoon. Now all I need is the cross rail and my racks will be complete. Lol. Eventually......

image.jpg

13yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advise. This rack was suppose to be off a 2010 escalade. The passenger side cap will go down and fasten But not without a gap. Had not noticed this extra piece in front. Of mount peg on others but it doesn't appear to be making contact inside cap. Again. I don't think it would come off. Just a little **** about the gap. All help appreciated image.jpg

13yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Failed to get second pic uploaded Took retainer out to make sure fit was right before snapping down image.jpg Thanks again

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front caps have a small gap like that as well. However that mounting gasket in between the cap and roof gasket looks different than mine. Mine has a round peg that stands up that matches a round spot in the cap that it sits into. I assume the different shape is because of different years. My racks came off a 2003 escalade esv. And the caps were from a 2004 so same body style. They must have changed to that shape with the NNBS model. If your racks came from a 2010 but caps came from an older NBS model, that could be why it's not sitting flush.

13yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front caps have a small gap like that as well. However that mounting gasket in between the cap and roof gasket looks different than mine. Mine has a round peg that stands up that matches a round spot in the cap that it sits into. I assume the different shape is because of different years. My racks came off a 2003 escalade esv. And the caps were from a 2004 so same body style. They must have changed to that shape with the NNBS model. If your racks came from a 2010 but caps came from an older NBS model, that could be why it's not sitting flush.
My caps actually mount off the peg pictured. Don't know what the other piece in front is for

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. My gasket looks a little different. The only reason I could think there would be a gap is because on mine, there's a little extra plastic piece around the pegs that matches on the other end of the peg inside the cap. It's supposed to sit on the gasket but sometimes it gets stuck around the peg inside the cap when you take the cap off and then it downs t go back on flush so you have to take it off the cap and out it back on the cap. Ill sank a pic shortly when I go outside to the driveway.