Escalade 4l80e swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
Well I found a BW4495 for $100, so I feel like I'm going to go that route. It seems like the path of least resistance.

I'm looking on the HP Tuner website. I swear a year ago when I was looking at this swap, it was going to cost about $700 for their stuff. Now it looks like they came out with the MPVI2 and it only costs $300. Am I missing something?

If I don't like the first gear, then it'll only motivated me to upgrade more stuff.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like it? youll still need credits 1 for ecm/1 for tcm...looks like the pro is still 550 tho. resale on the pro is a lot better - assuming for most people, if youre buying your own tuning software theres a good chance youll want to add external sensors (wide band)

a friend of mine had a mpvi1 pro i grabbed from him with credits on it still

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
Well I found lt1swap.com and he'll do the segment swap for $75.

OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
I have to shorten the rear driveshaft 2”, but everything is pretty much done. The front driveshaft has a really long slip yoke, so I’m just going to pull it out a little and run it. Unfortunately, the rubber boot is too short to hook back up. Do you guys know of a longer boot that might work? The only aftermarket part I had to buy was a flexible dipstick tube. I bought a used 6.0 4l80e flex plate and spacer off ebay.

OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
It moves! Unfortunately the speedometer doesn't work and it shifts hard. I've been searching online and I think my transmission is missing the reluctor ring for the vehicle speed sensor. There is an input speed sensor towards the front of the transmission and the vehicle speed sensor towards the rear. The VSS on the 2005 Escalade was in the transfercase. Unfortunately the 2007 Denali transfercase doesn't have a sensor. I'm trying to figure out the purpose of the 2nd sensor in the transmission if all pre 2007 4wd trucks use a sensor in the transfercase.

I think I might be able to take parts from my old BW4481 and put them on the BW4485.

Do you guys have any ideas?

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
trans input =engine rpm basically (after torque converter)
trans output = changes depending on gear.
transfer case = two speed transfer case low and high will change speed.

with that said, i think mine only uses the front speed sensor in the transmission but i also use the stand alone T42 tcm (no trans control in the e38 pcm) and im guessing it just calculates engine rpm x trans gear to know output rpm. and because of single speed transfer case, output rpm= transfer case rpm.

i dont think there is a reluctor wheel in the bw4485, there is a cast boss where the speed sensor would go but it is neither open or threaded. i dont know enough about 4l80 to know if the rear speed sensor can be connected on all of them, and where to wire it to on the pcm

OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
I pulled out the rear VSS on the tranny and slide my finger in to try and feel for the reluctor ring. Unfortunately my transmission doesn't have one. I don't know what that sensor is looking for because it's just smooth in there. I'm wondering if I can leave it unplugged? Then I'd combine my two transfercases and plug it in there instead.

OP
OP
Fjs0001

Fjs0001

Reaction score
I combined the rear half of my old case and the rear output shaft from the BW4481 with the rest of the BW4485. I unplug the useless rear 4l80e speed sensor and plugged it into my transfer case. Everything works great! I drove it 2 hours up and down mountains without issue. Thank y’all for the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont