Erratic intermittent no crank no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali207

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2008 Yukon Denali with 165,000 miles on it. The other day I jumped in it and the door locks were going crazy all on their own. Then service stabilitrak came on. Then a check engine light. I scanned and got a P0700 and U0073. I cleared them and it drive home fine. After sitting for a few days I jumped in it again and this time check engine light, ABS light, stabilitrak, gauge cluster going crazy and the truck wouldn’t get out of 1st gear. I then pulled the codes U0100 and P2544. I cleaned the 2 grounds on the firewall by the fuse box, the one on the frame underneath the drivers seat, and the one coming off the battery to the head of the motor. I also cleaned the positive cable going for the max 175 amp fuse, the fuse itself and the two leads leaving the fuse. The truck now intermittently starts and sometimes has no crank no start. I also now cannot communicate with the ECM or TCM and can’t get any codes. When I am able to get the truck started which is completely random, I hear clicking under by the pedals and have no readings for the gas, oil pressure and temp gauges. And still have ABS light, stabilitrak light and check engine light. I have also check every fuse on the truck and they are all good. PLEASE HELP!!!

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad ground or low voltage issue. Check your battery cables and ground cables for any corrosion.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
I had the exact same codes and symptoms plus the truck in limp mode not going over 30mph two days ago. I went to YouTube and found a video upgrading the ground strap and walla no more issues. I used 0/1 gauge as opposed to the smaller wire as stated in the video. You may want to change the 175amp mega fuse for $5 or clean up connections and make sure the studs are tight. Also check for 12v at each ground point using a multimeter. Put the positive probe on +battery and negative probe on the wire you wanna check.

Last edited:

davidavidd

Reaction score
Hey @Denali207, my humble advice:

1. Try a new battery and another programmed key.
2. Check your battery cables and make a voltage drop test (remember that a battery cable can look perfect on the outside, including the terminal, but be rotten on the inside.)
3. Check your grounds, specifically those that feed the BCM, without removing the existing ones install temporary grounds from battery to engine block and chassis.
4. Check your can network splice packs (underneath the steering column, under the seats, sorry I don't remember all the locations), also look for broken or worn cables due to friction, rust, rodents, etc.
5. Unplug your BCM (it looks like a router, behind the driver's side knee bolster panel right underneath the steering column), clean the terminals with contact cleaner (I do not recommend WD-40) and plug it again.

All the symptoms you describe point to a BCM that has intermittent power or is faulty. Also, a module with problems can be "knocking down" your entire CAN network and that is why there are no communications between the other modules. Try unplugging everything (removing the fuses) that isn't needed for start the truck: air conditioning, radio, airbag, accesories, etc

The scanner is your best friend in these cases and think outside the box too, sometimes what looks like a cause is actually a symptom of the main problem.

Good luck with your truck :favorites37:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros