Engine Won't Shut Down/Parasitic Drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeGx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 03 Denali w/161k. I recently attached a trickle charge connector to the battery and the wrapping that connected the eyelets to their wires interfered with the battery cables having a complete connection to the battery, but I didn't realize it was going to cause all the problems I now have. I only had it on overnight, unconnected and the next day, not only was the battery dead, The engine won't shut of with the key and I have a parasitic drain that kills the battery in less than a couple of hours. So I'm having to disconnect the battery whenever I go to or come home from work and the only way I can kill the engine is by pulling the fuel pump relay till it dies, then i turn off the key. When i reconnect the battery and start her up she runs fine. Everything works great but my gas mileage has also suffered greatly but it's a short drive so she doesn't get much of a chance to relearn because of stop lights and what not. The only time i get any indicator lights (check engine/tc) is if I let the parasitic draw do it's thing by not disconnecting the battery when I park. I'm gonna try and find the parasitic draw this weekend, but I've changed out the ignition switch and the lock cylinder with no succes. The motor won't stop running when I go to shut her down. HELP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9