Engine ticky-ticky-ticky sound at idle (2007 Tahoe 5.3L, 135,000 miles)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Y'all had me researching flexplates last night and I crashed with Rock Auto and two other tabs up on my laptop trying to get info on the ATP and Pioneer plates.

@Tonyrodz, did you get the standard or HD version and do you know what the difference is?
I guess I got the standard one. No idea of the differences between HD and standard. Maybe thickness?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I got the standard one. No idea of the differences between HD and standard. Maybe thickness?

Probably so. I'm usually one to stick to factory stuff unless the factory design has a known flaw. Unless it's been replaced, mine has lasted 200K miles. This prompts me to replace it with a fresh factory part but not if there maybe was a batch of bad ones that my Tahoe missed. I like Wade's idea of Magnafluxing it. I used to remanufacture Diesel engine connecting rods and Magnafluxing was one of the steps I performed. Unless they'd do it, or let me do it for free or cheap, it probably wouldn't be worth the cost compared to a new one.

*sigh*
Guess I'll just get back to researching these things.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has me thinking that cracked flex plates may be due to a bad casting, much like the Castech heads (my thread on this proves that bad castings weren't limited to Castech). If your flex plate is still good, I'd leave it. If it's cracked, I'd go factory again.

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a 2007 and up issue with the flex plate ? Wouldn't the starting sound strange also pretty crazy issue .. Could it be a aftermarket starter causing this issue you know like a Napa starter etc.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

MickeyD

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not sure if this is resolved or not (have to read through) but I had this exact issue for a while, turns out it was a bad starter. The spring on the starter wore out so the gear would basically oscillate and bounce against the flywheel. Not enough to cause an issue, but it made this sound. Happened around 135,000 for me with what I think was the original starter.

Woodblocker55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know it goes to next issue was there only one manufacturer of GM starters? I know years ago in a 1976 car I worked on had a bunch shims if I put a Napa starter in and used the shims it took out the gear on the Napa starter so after month long deal getting credit on that starter I replaced with a GM starter witch worked perfect with shims . So after seeing that issue I always try to get GM starters .
But you could figure if alignment was off it screw with that flex plate big time if didn't take out gear on starter. Just my project issues years back .

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy