Engine ticky-ticky-ticky sound at idle (2007 Tahoe 5.3L, 135,000 miles)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mjreynolds928

mjreynolds928

Reaction score
I want to see the cracks need a picture . And check exhaust manifold bolts Im sure you have a couple bolts missing . Yes take finger and turn on cold engine the exhaust manifold bolts they might come out when you try to turn them . If it was a cracked flex plate it would of broke a long time ago .. only guessing.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

this is only angle of the flex plate. I tried to turn the flex plate and kept missing. Is shows one crack. The first time I looked through the hole I saw two.

B2F26A30-EA4B-4997-84AF-9AB1DC5437DB.jpeg

OP
OP
mjreynolds928

mjreynolds928

Reaction score
You said you saw two cracks at flex plate. How did you identify that, used a camera snake up to the flywheel bolt area?
Check out the picture I added in this thread. It’s from a different angle but you can see one crack. The first time I saw the cracks, their was two. I can’t imagine how much is actually holding on to this flex plate.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the picture I added in this thread. It’s from a different angle but you can see one crack. The first time I saw the cracks, their was two. I can’t imagine how much is actually holding on to this flex plate.
Yikes!

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see that the torque converter comes out with the transmission after unbolting it from the flywheel. Then, the flex plate can be removed to gain access to the rear main seal.

However, this may not give enough room to work to get tools in there to get at the seal.

OP
OP
mjreynolds928

mjreynolds928

Reaction score
I just came across these two videos:

and

They're painful and funny to watch, but also will give you an idea what you might be in for if you try it yourself. This would be one of those projects that could probably be done in a day if you know what you are doing. If you don't, it shows you what you are in for.

So I watched these videos and it was rather painful... I am wondering if I can unbolt the transmission and slide it back about 2” and replace the flex plate in stead of completely removing the tranny and transfer case???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts