Engine ticky-ticky-ticky sound at idle (2007 Tahoe 5.3L, 135,000 miles)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjreynolds928

Reaction score
My Tahoe does this tick tick tick sound when idling and drifting between idle and about 1500 rpms. Can’t tell if it does it beyond that, too much other noise. The Tahoe doesn’t make the sound when I take off from stop at 1000rpms, just when I let off the gas or sitting idle. Is it most likely bad lifters? Will the engine fail? Any thoughts?

It does have P0442 error code, probably not related, but forgot to add that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the ticking there all the time at those rpms or does it stop once the engine is warmed up?

Might get a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can pin point where it’s coming from. Check bearings on serpentine belt path, exhaust manifolds, valve covers, etc.

What type and weight of oil are you running.

OP
OP
mjreynolds928

mjreynolds928

Reaction score
Is the ticking there all the time at those rpms or does it stop once the engine is warmed up?

Might get a mechanics stethoscope and see if you can pin point where it’s coming from. Check bearings on serpentine belt path, exhaust manifolds, valve covers, etc.

What type and weight of oil are you running.
Never goes away. Drove it 600 miles over Christmas break and still ticking away. I use 5w/30. I tried adding Sea Foam, 8 ounces I believe. I tried adding Lucas Oil additive. Those seem to help a little.

Didn’t think it would be exhaust since it goes away under load. But once I remove my foot from the accelerator it ticks

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway you can post a video so we can hear the sound?

Initial, instinctive, reflex is to suspect one or more lifters that are going bad, but need to check things out to be sure.

You can do a quick test by taking the serpentine belt off and run the engine for a short time to see if the sound stays or goes. If it goes away, you have a problem with one of the belt driven parts and it is not in the engine.

OP
OP
mjreynolds928

mjreynolds928

Reaction score
Is there anyway you can post a video so we can hear the sound?

Initial, instinctive, reflex is to suspect one or more lifters that are going bad, but need to check things out to be sure.

You can do a quick test by taking the serpentine belt off and run the engine for a short time to see if the sound stays or goes. If it goes away, you have a problem with one of the belt driven parts and it is not in the engine.
Sure. I’ll make a video this afternoon and drop it in this feed. Thanks for the help

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This last oil change was Mobile One Extended Performance Full Synthetic High Mileage

Last time I checked that oil was not 6094M or Dexos1 compliant. It's viscosity numbers are too low which is why you're motor is rattling around. Get some Shell Rotella Gas Truck or the ACDelco oil made for our trucks if you want to order it, not always easy to get locally. 88865905/10-9234 or 88865743/10-9147. These are GM and ACDelco part numbers, 1 and 5 quart bottles respectively.

What oil filter are you using?

Our engines were designed for a synthetic blend but a few years later they switched to full synthetic for more reliability with the AFM system.

So, 6094M was the original standard, then they came out with Dexos1 and now they are at Dexos1 Gen2.

OP
OP
mjreynolds928

mjreynolds928

Reaction score
Last time I checked that oil was not 6094M or Dexos1 compliant. It's viscosity numbers are too low which is why you're motor is rattling around. Get some Shell Rotella Gas Truck or the ACDelco oil made for our trucks if you want to order it, not always easy to get locally. 88865905/10-9234 or 88865743/10-9147. These are GM and ACDelco part numbers, 1 and 5 quart bottles respectively.

What oil filter are you using?

Our engines were designed for a synthetic blend but a few years later they switched to full synthetic for more reliability with the AFM system.

So, 6094M was the original standard, then they came out with Dexos1 and now they are at Dexos1 Gen2.
What you are suggesting is foreign to me. I didn’t know they made specific oil for specific types of engines. I thought the weight and viscosity numbers and if it was either regular or full synthetic was the only thing to consider.

The oil change before last, I used AC Delco. The last oil change, I changed to Mobil1 extended performance

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you are suggesting is foreign to me. I didn’t know they made specific oil for specific types of engines. I thought the weight and viscosity numbers and if it was either regular or full synthetic was the only thing to consider.

The oil change before last, I used AC Delco. The last oil change, I changed to Mobil1 extended performance

Here is a list of oils that are Dexos 1 rated.

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

EDIT: It looks like Mobil1 Extended Performance 5w30 is listed as being dexos1-Gen 2 rated..

Last edited: