Engine Tick and AFM Disabler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcole

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Second question. I ended up getting a new tranny in the last few weeks and an ECM. Should I consider getting one of the Range Technologies AFM disablers at this point? That roaring/rumbling sound the truck makes when in V4 mode, but otherwise no issues with the motor or the system. Vehicle is 232K on it. Most of the seals have been replaced and it has new plugs and wires. Maybe it's too late to worry about it and I should just address it once I have to do some major engine work?

For your question #2, I also just put a new transmission in my '15 Tahoe and had a loud squeak sound at various gear changes when I got it back. The shuddering/hesitation was also still there (not why it got replaced, but expected that to be resolved with a brand new one). I figured out w/ the help of this forum that the squeak was actually related to a bad exhaust valve and only occurs when AFM is disengaging (see Bulletin PIT5532A). I tested it confirmed that the V4/V8 transition was the source of the squeak, isolated by putting it in M5 with no noise. The "fix" for that sound is to replace the exhaust ($1200 at my dealer) but that would not fix the shuddering/hesitation or other issues with AFM. So I am currently testing a Range Tech device. It seems to have mostly resolved the problem for 1/6 the price... I'm giving it a few more weeks before I commit though.

OP
OP
T

tbgrey2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For your question #2, I also just put a new transmission in my '15 Tahoe and had a loud squeak sound at various gear changes when I got it back. The shuddering/hesitation was also still there (not why it got replaced, but expected that to be resolved with a brand new one). I figured out w/ the help of this forum that the squeak was actually related to a bad exhaust valve and only occurs when AFM is disengaging (see Bulletin PIT5532A). I tested it confirmed that the V4/V8 transition was the source of the squeak, isolated by putting it in M5 with no noise. The "fix" for that sound is to replace the exhaust ($1200 at my dealer) but that would not fix the shuddering/hesitation or other issues with AFM. So I am currently testing a Range Tech device. It seems to have mostly resolved the problem for 1/6 the price... I'm giving it a few more weeks before I commit though.
Let me know how it goes.

OP
OP
T

tbgrey2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Still trying to figure this intermittent tick sound out. I did notice it seems to start right after I’m stopped at a light or something and the engine seems to all of a sudden start to idle rough. Does that make the cause any clearer?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094