Engine Stall out M4 almost causes crash...Lost both brakes and power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If she's parked close to the house, put a battery tender on it. It's "smart" and will regulate if and when and how much juice it needs. Not sure if the solar charger is "smart".
i have a decent charger from the 1950s i think( but it has both 6volts and 12volts) from my grandpa if I was to use it i would have to stay with it while it's charging or bring the battery inside

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a decent charger from the 1950s from my grandpa if I was to use it i would have to stay with it while it's charging or bring the battery inside
I'm all for vintage stuff and for using stuff that our kin used to have but your truck needs a smart charger to rejuvenate that battery Brent.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was in M4 which is 100% ICE only mode
No codes besides a P0C32 which is a old stored code from week or 2 ago,,

as the battery was cold at the time
Stalled out ..

this is the first time it stalled out in M4 it happened while going 40mph ...1200rpm.. the engine did not make any weird noises like a normal car stalling out noise or sputtering before hand.. it was a normal 'AutoStop'
fired right up no issue after put in Park, keying off and recranking it

the weird part is it went into AutoStop despite being in M4 and at over 30mph(which is ENGINE ON ONLY MODE when m4 and/or over 30mph) then 100% off a second later

unexpectedly Lost engine power, brakes and power steering this time around

typically when it stalls from autostop it still has both .... almost causing crash with a vehicle behind me. as it has no brake lights when the engine is off ..

I put on on the Hazard lights ok..

it just says service hybrid, service power steering and service TPMS No codes or no hybrid codes stored or pending. at the stall..

Nothing is shown besides the Service Tire monitors bs... currently
well it worked great for a week they said the battery is good 700 out of 750..."the best the have seen for being 3 years old" still will not charge above 12.3VDC.. goes down to 11.9 or 11.7 sigh... after 1day then 2nd day 14.7VDC at the terminals

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
maybe the battery was just low :( it said 12.3bolts on the obd2 key off

i took it to AutoZone had them charge it up going to pick it up

i'll need to buy a Solar Panel to charge the battery via the cig lighter ( is it safe to use it ? for long term use? like 0.5amp@14v solar panel?)

' i think part of the issue it i don't drive it much anymore because of the fuel costs i drive my corolla more bc it gets 35 and 44 on the highway
A small solar cell can be left on a car battery indefinitely without damage. They don’t generate enough current to boil away any electrolyte. I had an off grid cabin for a long time and I used an old car battery and a 5w solar panel to run the water pump. When I sold the place the installation was over 5 years in use, and it was an old battery when I installed it.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A small solar cell can be left on a car battery indefinitely without damage. They don’t generate enough current to boil away any electrolyte. I had an off grid cabin for a long time and I used an old car battery and a 5w solar panel to run the water pump. When I sold the place the installation was over 5 years in use, and it was an old battery when I installed it.
the battery has an internal short i left it off the car over night it dropped from 12.42 (as they claimed)

but it's reporting 12.29 -12.30 over night (disconnected 0.12v-0.13v loss over night 15 hours 7pm to 10am) from a calibrated mutimeter it's brand new ( checked the calibration with a new 1.5v battery)

it's losing 0.01 volt every hour

Last edited:

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, a battery that is rated at 750 CCA should put out At Least 750... not 1 cca under
Most of my batteries, new and used, when they are in good shape put out at least 50-100 MORE
CCA than rated
So, to me, your battery is on it's last leg at best

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, a battery that is rated at 750 CCA should put out At Least 750... not 1 cca under
Most of my batteries, new and used, when they are in good shape put out at least 50-100 MORE
CCA than rated
So, to me, your battery is on it's last leg at best
yeah they put it on the machine for an hour it only took in 2 amps the whole time 12.32v was the highest they got it replaced with a new battery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442