Engine Stall out M4 almost causes crash...Lost both brakes and power steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was in M4 which is 100% ICE only mode
No codes besides a P0C32 which is a old stored code from week or 2 ago,,

as the battery was cold at the time
Stalled out ..

this is the first time it stalled out in M4 it happened while going 40mph ...1200rpm.. the engine did not make any weird noises like a normal car stalling out noise or sputtering before hand.. it was a normal 'AutoStop'
fired right up no issue after put in Park, keying off and recranking it

the weird part is it went into AutoStop despite being in M4 and at over 30mph(which is ENGINE ON ONLY MODE when m4 and/or over 30mph) then 100% off a second later

unexpectedly Lost engine power, brakes and power steering this time around

typically when it stalls from autostop it still has both .... almost causing crash with a vehicle behind me. as it has no brake lights when the engine is off ..

I put on on the Hazard lights ok..

it just says service hybrid, service power steering and service TPMS No codes or no hybrid codes stored or pending. at the stall..

Nothing is shown besides the Service Tire monitors bs... currently

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a new battery me thinks. Not the big one under the seats, the little one in the engine bay. Or there are wiring/ground issues with the battery cables, but you know all of this. Glad you and those around you are ok.

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a new battery me thinks. Not the big one under the seats, the little one in the engine bay. Or there are wiring/ground issues with the battery cables, but you know all of this. Glad you and those around you are ok.
maybe the battery was just low :( it said 12.3bolts on the obd2 key off

i took it to AutoZone had them charge it up going to pick it up

i'll need to buy a Solar Panel to charge the battery via the cig lighter ( is it safe to use it ? for long term use? like 0.5amp@14v solar panel?)

' i think part of the issue it i don't drive it much anymore because of the fuel costs i drive my corolla more bc it gets 35 and 44 on the highway

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since when don’t brake lights work even with the key off?

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since when don’t brake lights work even with the key off?
the brake lights only work with the engine running or auto stop ...... it's different then the normal tahoe you know that ...

as it has automatic brake lights like the tesla

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine don't. Found that out after installing my aftermarket tail lights and checking/testing them.
I just checked my NNBS Silvy and discovered something else GM cheated us out of when going from the NBS to NNBS besides the hvac filter, lights in the door panels and under the hood, 3 clicks on the gas cap etc….brake lights that work all the time without the ignition on. This one I don’t understand. What could be the reasoning? :crazy:

Reaction score
I just checked my NNBS Silvy and discovered something else GM cheated us out of when going from the NBS to NNBS besides the hvac filter, lights in the door panels and under the hood, 3 clicks on the gas cap etc….brake lights that work all the time without the ignition on. This one I don’t understand. What could be the reasoning? :crazy:
It freaked me out at first, I thought my new lights were defective or I messed up the wiring or something.

I have no idea why they would operate like this

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The brake lights should work for a few minutes after key-off until the system goes into sleep mode then they do not, same with the k2 only it goes to sleep faster.
must have been a total shut down during the stall

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe the battery was just low :( it said 12.3bolts on the obd2 key off

i took it to AutoZone had them charge it up going to pick it up

i'll need to buy a Solar Panel to charge the battery via the cig lighter ( is it safe to use it ? for long term use? like 0.5amp@14v solar panel?)

' i think part of the issue it i don't drive it much anymore because of the fuel costs i drive my corolla more bc it gets 35 and 44 on the highway
If she's parked close to the house, put a battery tender on it. It's "smart" and will regulate if and when and how much juice it needs. Not sure if the solar charger is "smart".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts