Engine redux

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
HI. so I'm sure this has been asked a boatload of times so I apologize for the necessity of the question but I cannot find anything that is specific to what I'm doing. I have a 2005 yukon xl denali with the lq4 in it. It has 190k on it and I'd like to change out the cam. Because I have to take the motor apart to do that I figure id change some of the other stuff to so id only have to so it once. Problem is everything I read goes to extremes or costs to much money. I'm not trying to be unique if somehow the exact same motor I'm fine using their build as a blueprint for mine. So far I'm seeing I need rods cam timing chain the cover a trunking kit new ls6 springs new oil pump new pick up tube o ring. I have a leak in my oil pan gasket so that is also up for repair. Is that all I need? I'm also doing laundry headers a straight pipe all the way back i have hptuners tho I'm self taught and I've done every single repair myself. If anyone has any advice I'm glad to hear it. Please and thank you! Sorry for the book!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your changing the cam at 190k cam bearings would be a plus. your talking about changing the cam so you may already have that in your plan but you didn't mention it so figured i would.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a 6.0 group on FB if you want more information specific to the 6.0. You might also look into doing the LQ4 to LQ9 "conversion" which is, pretty much, heads and pistons. But I am not an expert on the topic, so you'll want to research that further if you are interested.

Good luck, and I am WAY interested in hearing your results! I have 3 vehicles with the LQ4.

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
So change the heads? I looked into that but then the dilemma is what heads are the best budget? Stuff from the 6.2? And I heard the intake will transfer too for some power. I just don't have enough knowledge or extra money to waste in the wrong decision. I will look at fb and look for these groups. Thank you for the replies!

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Oh and I looked at the bearing also but I am unsure of how difficult a job it is to replace those. There cheap enough that I'd like too but again don't want to mess something up.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and I looked at the bearing also but I am unsure of how difficult a job it is to replace those. There cheap enough that I'd like too but again don't want to mess something up.
JUST saw a YouTube video on replacing the needle bearings, if that is what you are referencing. If I locate the link again, I'll share.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI. so I'm sure this has been asked a boatload of times so I apologize for the necessity of the question but I cannot find anything that is specific to what I'm doing. I have a 2005 yukon xl denali with the lq4 in it. It has 190k on it and I'd like to change out the cam. Because I have to take the motor apart to do that I figure id change some of the other stuff to so id only have to so it once. Problem is everything I read goes to extremes or costs to much money. I'm not trying to be unique if somehow the exact same motor I'm fine using their build as a blueprint for mine. So far I'm seeing I need rods cam timing chain the cover a trunking kit new ls6 springs new oil pump new pick up tube o ring. I have a leak in my oil pan gasket so that is also up for repair. Is that all I need? I'm also doing laundry headers a straight pipe all the way back i have hptuners tho I'm self taught and I've done every single repair myself. If anyone has any advice I'm glad to hear it. Please and thank you! Sorry for the book!

Change all the seals and bearings, why the rods though if nothing is wrong with them? You might be able to reuse the pistons too. I would certainly have the heads overhauled and freshened up with new seals and maybe a valve job. New rockers if needed and maybe improved ones.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the cam in my LQ4 without pulling the heads. I wouldn’t replace them unless you want to spend a bunch of money. Mine had 150k at the time and I’m not worried about cam bearings, they’re good for 300-400k if you take care of your engine. I did a cam, hardened pushrods, dual valve springs for a high lift cam, valve seals since you have to pull the valves, front cover and main gaskets, oil pump o-ring, pan gasket, new oil pump and timing set. You’ll also need a harmonic balancer bolt and I recommend the ARP. There’s info on doing the cam here: (this is for an f-body but it’s the same)https://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23