Engine Rattle or Ping

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by BobF, Oct 28, 2019.

1. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Sounds like poor quality, low octane fuel is being used. Top Tier 93 baby, actually costs less to burn, especially over time.

2. sealandsky

sealandsky Full Access Member

Name:
    Rich
    Enough time has passed since this post originated - I'm curious as to if a few tanks of 93 octane cleared up the issue?

swathdiver likes this.
  3. Texasdaddy

Texasdaddy Full Access Member

Name:
    Scro
    I havent seen plus for just 10 cents more in over a decade. Every time gas goes way up they increase the spread, then leave it when gas goes back down. I pulled into a chevron last week for my BMW, and 93 was 80 cents more a gallon! Fuggin bullsh - 40 cents each tier. Glad the burb runs fine on 87...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Miami-Dade likes this.
  4. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Full Access Member

Name:
    Ron
    My neighborhood where my self storage facility is at is very upscale. The Chevron is about 1/8 mile away and is the only one in the immediate area. They charge a premium price for their fuel but when I do shop at Safeway, the money I spend goes towards discounts that I get at the gas pump. I sometimes save up to $.20 a gallon. This gas station does have a wider spread between the 3 gas grades but most stations in the city are typically $.10 to $.12 spreads between the grades. Fuel is a necessary evil for driving so you just bite the bullet and live with it. If I was to buy a bottle of Techron with each fill up it would average out more than $.10 a gallon spread difference.

5. LT1ZOB

LT1ZOB Full Access Member

Name:
    George
    Either yes, it cleared it up, or oops, grenaded my motor. 91 is minimum octane for most GM 6.2s. One of my vette buddies called me in a panic claiming his LT1 engine is sluggish and dying with 4,300 miles. Turns out his wife had been filling it with 87 to save $.

wjburken likes this.