Engine Rattle or Ping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I purchased a left over 2018 Yukon from my local dealer. When I accelerate I hear what I call a ping noise or rattle coming from the engine. Reminds me of the old days when I was young and needed a higher octane fuel for a muscle car. I brought it to the dealer and they said they could not make the noise, they didn't try very hard. Just thought I would reach out and see if anybody else is experiencing this issue.

Sounds like poor quality, low octane fuel is being used. Top Tier 93 baby, actually costs less to burn, especially over time.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, I purchased a left over 2018 Yukon from my local dealer. When I accelerate I hear what I call a ping noise or rattle coming from the engine. Reminds me of the old days when I was young and needed a higher octane fuel for a muscle car. I brought it to the dealer and they said they could not make the noise, they didn't try very hard. Just thought I would reach out and see if anybody else is experiencing this issue.
Enough time has passed since this post originated - I'm curious as to if a few tanks of 93 octane cleared up the issue?

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent seen plus for just 10 cents more in over a decade. Every time gas goes way up they increase the spread, then leave it when gas goes back down. I pulled into a chevron last week for my BMW, and 93 was 80 cents more a gallon! Fuggin bullsh - 40 cents each tier. Glad the burb runs fine on 87...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My neighborhood where my self storage facility is at is very upscale. The Chevron is about 1/8 mile away and is the only one in the immediate area. They charge a premium price for their fuel but when I do shop at Safeway, the money I spend goes towards discounts that I get at the gas pump. I sometimes save up to $.20 a gallon. This gas station does have a wider spread between the 3 gas grades but most stations in the city are typically $.10 to $.12 spreads between the grades. Fuel is a necessary evil for driving so you just bite the bullet and live with it. If I was to buy a bottle of Techron with each fill up it would average out more than $.10 a gallon spread difference.

LT1ZOB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enough time has passed since this post originated - I'm curious as to if a few tanks of 93 octane cleared up the issue?

Either yes, it cleared it up, or oops, grenaded my motor. 91 is minimum octane for most GM 6.2s. One of my vette buddies called me in a panic claiming his LT1 engine is sluggish and dying with 4,300 miles. Turns out his wife had been filling it with 87 to save $.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts