Engine Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, we had a 2007 Denali XL with the 6.2 and then we bought a 2009 Suburban LTZ with the 5.3 when the 6.2 lost a lifter at 270K. My wife, who is not a car enthusiast at all, hated the Suburban and said it didn’t have as much power as the Denali XL. Because if that, after I replaced the cam and all the lifters, thinking I would sell it, she said she wanted to keep driving the 6.2 with 270K instead of the 5.3 with 120K. We are now on our third 6.2 Denali XL.

dusttur

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just towed our 5,500lb camper this weekend with our 22 Yukon AT4 XL with the 6.2 and max trailering package (first time towing with her). I was very pleased with the engine. We live in NM so I’m always towing through the mountains to get to a camping spot. My main concern is always transmission temperature, highest she got was 190f. The engine paired with the 10 speed transmission was smooth and responsive. Easily held at 75 on the interstate, even going up long hills. Was shocked to look at the trailering option in the infotainment system and see avg mpg was 17! Also as I was parking the camper in our spot (mountain camping, no connections, just find a spot and camp) I got too close to a large rock and scraped the AT4 skid plate (not the plastic, but the actual skid plate). That’s a W for the AT4 because I presume if I had a normal grille I would have cracked it or severely damaged it but didn’t thanks to the AT4’s more aggressive approach angle. Overall, very pleased with her all around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17