Engine Oil Low, Add Oil Warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Super Kevin

Reaction score
So, my wife called me yesterday to tell me that our 2007 Yukon Denali had displayed "Engine Oil Low Add Oil" in the DIC. Of course, I assumed that the oil was actually low. I told her to pull over and I left work to go meet her with oil that I picked up on the way. Upon checking the oil level on fairly level (if not level) ground, it showed only 1/2 quart low. I wouldn't think that it would display this for only 1/2 quart. Before adding any oil, I started it back up and the message did not display. She said there were no other lights or warnings. I went ahead and added the 1/2 quart to it and drove it home. I have driven 30 or 40 miles since then and the message has not displayed again but, as far as I can tell it never should have. Anybody got any ideas? Maybe the sending unit is bad? I hope it couldn't be related to oil pressure. Oil pressure looks good on it by the way. Any help is appreciated.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it came on while she was ascending a steep grade or driveway? If I remember Chattanooga right, there's lots of winding roads and steep grades on I-24, loved running my muscle car through their on the way to Bowling Green!

And I just read:

The shop manual says the ECM only checks the oil level between key on and cranking.

OP
OP
Super Kevin

Super Kevin

Reaction score
Maybe it came on while she was ascending a steep grade or driveway? If I remember Chattanooga right, there's lots of winding roads and steep grades on I-24, loved running my muscle car through their on the way to Bowling Green!

And I just read:

The shop manual says the ECM only checks the oil level between key on and cranking.

She was actually driving down a fairly level highway when it came on. Though, that could've been only when she noticed it as we also have a windshield washer fluid low warning on. She said it flashed between the two. Steep grades on I-24: You must be talking about Monteagle Mountain between Chattanooga and Nashville. There is a steep part at the ridgecut in Chattanooga as well. I-24 is backed up almost everyday because of that. We need a by-pass. Haha!

OP
OP
Super Kevin

Super Kevin

Reaction score
I just checked with her. She wasn't parked on a hill when she started. I think that it was already on before she called me and that she didn't notice it until she was about 5 miles down the road because there was already a warning about the low windshield washer fluid. If you get used to ignoring warning lights that don't matter, the ones that may matter will not get noticed. I still don't know what caused it to come on though.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steep grades on I-24: You must be talking about Monteagle Mountain between Chattanooga and Nashville. There is a steep part at the ridgecut in Chattanooga as well. I-24 is backed up almost everyday because of that. We need a by-pass. Haha!

I looked through several sections of the shop manual but could not see at what oil level the notice is triggered, just when it looks for it. The troubleshooting guide pointed to bad wiring, bad sensor or bad ECM. It may have triggered a code that is now in history, if you have a scan tool or code reader see if there something there. You can get a pdf copy of the shop manual from a guy on ebay (SeriousCTBuyer) and or through a subscription to AllDataDIY. It'll help take care of that other warning message too. That one probably set a BCM code which a more advanced scan tool can read.

I haven't that way for over twenty years. I would come up I-75 and head to Bowling Green to race or up to Chicago for business back then. Always enjoyed the drive through there and driving along the river and looking down on the city. My father took us to the Chattanooga Battlefield on our way to the '82 World's Fair, good memories from that trip, still have the prints and stuff from the gift shop too!

OP
OP
Super Kevin

Super Kevin

Reaction score
I looked through several sections of the shop manual but could not see at what oil level the notice is triggered, just when it looks for it. The troubleshooting guide pointed to bad wiring, bad sensor or bad ECM. It may have triggered a code that is now in history, if you have a scan tool or code reader see if there something there. You can get a pdf copy of the shop manual from a guy on ebay (SeriousCTBuyer) and or through a subscription to AllDataDIY. It'll help take care of that other warning message too. That one probably set a BCM code which a more advanced scan tool can read.

I haven't that way for over twenty years. I would come up I-75 and head to Bowling Green to race or up to Chicago for business back then. Always enjoyed the drive through there and driving along the river and looking down on the city. My father took us to the Chattanooga Battlefield on our way to the '82 World's Fair, good memories from that trip, still have the prints and stuff from the gift shop too!

82 Worlds Fair...In Knoxville. They still have the Gold dome on the tower from that. I think that it has a restaurant in it now. Thanks for the tips. I had a subscription at AllDataDIY from back when I was chasing down a wiring issue. I forgot all about that. I don't have BCM code reader and it doesn't set a light but my mechanic buddy has one. I think that is okay but, if that warning comes on again, I'm going to investigate. We have a long trip to South Florida this Saturday and I'm a little worried about it when I start having warning lights like this two days before hand.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
82 Worlds Fair...In Knoxville. They still have the Gold dome on the tower from that. I think that it has a restaurant in it now. Thanks for the tips. I had a subscription at AllDataDIY from back when I was chasing down a wiring issue. I forgot all about that. I don't have BCM code reader and it doesn't set a light but my mechanic buddy has one. I think that is okay but, if that warning comes on again, I'm going to investigate. We have a long trip to South Florida this Saturday and I'm a little worried about it when I start having warning lights like this two days before hand.

Yes, I got back to Knoxville in 2009 when my little brother graduated from college, saw the dome again but we came via South Carolina. BCM codes don't trigger warning lights. Where in South Florida if you don't mind my asking? You'll be passing right by a lot of us and then be amongst us during your visit. If you get into a pickle someone will probably be around to help out depending on where you are.

OP
OP
Super Kevin

Super Kevin

Reaction score
Yes, I got back to Knoxville in 2009 when my little brother graduated from college, saw the dome again but we came via South Carolina. BCM codes don't trigger warning lights. Where in South Florida if you don't mind my asking? You'll be passing right by a lot of us and then be amongst us during your visit. If you get into a pickle someone will probably be around to help out depending on where you are.

We are going to Ft. Myers Beach for a family Vacation. I like Sanibel but, we decided to go to Ft. Myers Beach this year instead. Looks like you are on the opposite coast. My grandparents once had trailer in Hobe Sound. Back in the 80's and 90's, they had a house in Jupiter. I've spent some time there.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are going to Ft. Myers Beach for a family Vacation. I like Sanibel but, we decided to go to Ft. Myers Beach this year instead. Looks like you are on the opposite coast. My grandparents once had trailer in Hobe Sound. Back in the 80's and 90's, they had a house in Jupiter. I've spent some time there.

Great place to vacation, our kids loved it. Watch for fossilized shark's teeth, usually black when the tide goes out and if y'all like old cars, stop by http://musclecarcity.net/

As soon as I get over this cough and get some chores around the house done we're going to spend the day over there again, been too long! Going to Edison/Ford Museums too and I would not be a very good husband if I didn't take my wife to Famous Dave's for dinner! Ever been on the Seminole Gulf Railway?

Safe travels Kevin!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

There's a cool little historical museum hidden behind the library that has all kinds of cool pictures from when there was no bridge and people waited on the tide to drive out to the beach. A couple trails leave from there and take you back to a lookout or two into Estero bay. You can often find some dolphins hanging out back there.

Great beach for hanging out at Bowditch on the north point of the island , too. Sometimes you can see Gopher tortoises up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts