Engine not reaching operating temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Dude...take a pill. You are kind of just arguing about nothing. The Kilmer video is still very informative.

No pill needed

Scotty's videos are half informative. He's popular enough that folks believe him as truth and I feel its worth mentioning that really shouldn't be the case. I could say that, but then I'd just be another forum rambler. I like to explain things - it provides context and understanding needed to explore an issue.

I'm stating fact, and proving it with pertinent info given the context of the current thread. There's no argument here. I like technical discussions. If you don't... I don't know, ignore me or something?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IAT is ethylene glycol, the green stuff, right? The aftermarket is still making it but I don't think any automakers are using it anymore.
IAT, OAT, HOAT, NOAT, etc all refer to the additive pack. The base - solvent, if you will, however, is ethylene glycol and water. All standard coolants have it. You'd need to make a marked effort to find a coolant with a different base than that; it's not something you'd do accidentally

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are getting kind of sidestepped but the topic of alternative coolants is an interesting subject. You can actually use Polypropylene Glycerol (aircraft deicing fluid) as a coolant however the heat transfer coefficient is somewhat less.

The acute oral toxicity of propylene glycol is very low, and large quantities are required to cause perceptible health damage in humans; propylene glycol is metabolized in the human body into pyruvic acid (a normal part of the glucose-metabolism process)

Snowdrifter is right about IAT and OAT's. They are both poisonous as they are ethylene gycol based.

http://www.veoliawatertech.com/crownsolutions/ressources/documents/2/21823,Glycol.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chiller449

Chiller449

Reaction score
Update time! Its fixed!. Here is how I fixed it. Please keep in mind that this is NOT how it should be fixed but its how i fixed it and its working so far. If you wanted to fix this the correct way you would have to install an OEM radiator. Since i paid over 200 bucks for this one and they wont take it back i decided to make it work. The top hose going from the radiator to the surge tank needs to have some wort of restriction in it. I chose a 3/8 compression fitting. It fits perfectly inside the hose and you can close the ends kind of like a ball valve. Cut the top hose somewhere in a straight part and put your fitting inside. I closed the ends on my fitting about half way. Clamp the hose on both ends around the fitting. Make sure you use a good clamp. Don't cheap out on this. That's it! Start the truck and check for leaks. If you are still getting coolant rushing into the surge tank you need to close the fitting a bit more. You will always get fluid going through but it should not be rushing. Restricting it like this allows the engine to heat up normally and lets the cooling system vent off air like its supposed too. Please let me know if you have any questions. Again this is kinda rigged but has worked so far and ids a lot cheaper than a new radiator.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal!

I wonder if a smaller piece of tube could easily be adhered to the inside as well. Fluid flow there is in one direction and feasibly, any fittings would aid in blocking migration of that piece should the adhesive fail.

Anyways I'm just thinking out loud. Glad you got it fixed

OP
OP
Chiller449

Chiller449

Reaction score
Good deal!

I wonder if a smaller piece of tube could easily be adhered to the inside as well. Fluid flow there is in one direction and feasibly, any fittings would aid in blocking migration of that piece should the adhesive fail.

Anyways I'm just thinking out loud. Glad you got it fixed

Im not sure. It would have to be really small. The gap in my fitting is only about 1/8th inch I suppose you could install a small valve in the line and just crack it open. Mine just looks more clean is all.

OneofFew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty common across manufacturers to have a restriction in the return hose to the reservoir. It is not supposed to get full flow, just enough to purge bubbles out. I had a similar problem on a VW- It turns out the restriction was a little plug that goes into the hose. If you replaced that hose without swapping the plug over, odd things happened.

Fjs0001

Reaction score
Update time! Its fixed!. Here is how I fixed it. Please keep in mind that this is NOT how it should be fixed but its how i fixed it and its working so far. If you wanted to fix this the correct way you would have to install an OEM radiator. Since i paid over 200 bucks for this one and they wont take it back i decided to make it work. The top hose going from the radiator to the surge tank needs to have some wort of restriction in it. I chose a 3/8 compression fitting. It fits perfectly inside the hose and you can close the ends kind of like a ball valve. Cut the top hose somewhere in a straight part and put your fitting inside. I closed the ends on my fitting about half way. Clamp the hose on both ends around the fitting. Make sure you use a good clamp. Don't cheap out on this. That's it! Start the truck and check for leaks. If you are still getting coolant rushing into the surge tank you need to close the fitting a bit more. You will always get fluid going through but it should not be rushing. Restricting it like this allows the engine to heat up normally and lets the cooling system vent off air like its supposed too. Please let me know if you have any questions. Again this is kinda rigged but has worked so far and ids a lot cheaper than a new radiator.

I’m having the same problem and I have a large aftermarket radiator. What do you mean by “close the ends on my fitting about half way?”

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m having the same problem and I have a large aftermarket radiator. What do you mean by “close the ends on my fitting about half way?”

He put a restrictor of some kind in the hose to the sure tank whose ends he clamped down to about half the size of the original. Probably use a short length of aluminum. Well, I'm speculatin', let's ask James what he done!

@Chiller449

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu