Engine not reaching operating temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of coolant are you using and is it pre mix? I run Dexcool mixed with distilled water and my truck starts warming up within a block of leaving my house, but I do have efans..I do not put tap water in my cooling system because of the corrosion it causes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Same here. I use distilled water with Dexcool 50/50 as stated in the service manual. I put two quarts into an empty Dex jug and then add two quarts distilled. Shake it up for about 15 secs and use. I make it a habit to always mix my coolant right away 50/50 if I remove the cap and seal on the Dexcool jug. That way I always know that if it is opened ...it has already been mixed.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I got the replacement thermostat and housing in the other day. So I removed the one in Tahoe today and put in the new one. Just for grins and giggles I put the old one in a pot of coolant on my stove. It opened up at about 190-195F. The replacement opened at the same temp. Didn't notice any foreign material or corrosion with the old thermostat. I did notice a slight difference in the spring thickness. I also noticed the rate at which they closed was different (because of spring diameter?). That's either a good revision of the previous design or a someone just threw in a substitution which could be hurtful to performance. Time will tell. I'll report back soon. Could be a few days or so until the last bit of air is purged.

@Matahoe, this purge sequence worked great for me when I replaced my water pump, thermostat, and some hoses. I did it on level ground, although I have heard that having the radiator higher helps to purge air.

CCI12092018_00000.jpg

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There seems to be lots of advice regarding cooling system bleeding on our engines. It's actually not that difficult to understand looking at the hoses under the hood. With our style cooling system the surge tank does all the work. The surge tank is a sealed system with an extra air space hose connected to the radiator that provides a path for escaping air. Essentially there is no special procedure to bleed the cooling system. Just drive the vehicle like normal.

From service manual:
Surge Tank:

The surge tank is a plastic tank with a threaded pressure cap. The tank is mounted at a point higher than all other coolant passages. The surge tank provides an air space in the cooling system that allows the coolant to expand and contract. The surge tank provides a coolant fill point and a central air bleed location.

During vehicle use, the coolant heats and expands. The increased coolant volume flows into the surge tank. As the coolant circulates, any air is allowed to bubble out. Coolant without air bubbles absorbs heat much better than coolant with bubbles.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiteHorseBFD792