Engine noise through speakers - Fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DIsney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thought I would post this here for others that may run into this....

Last weekend I started up my 2001 Yuuk and immediately noticed a high pitch whine through all speakers. It sounded like ground or ignition noise. Now being tuned into my electrical I was watching my voltmeter more carefully. I thought it was running a tad high so thought the alternator might be going out. I unplugged the alternator plug and the noise was gone! Figuring that was the cause I ordered up a reman unit and slapped it on.

Next morning go out and truck starts and dies immediately. Restart and it runs TERRIBLE. Shut back off, restart and runs fine. Now the voltmeter is dancing a bit. New brushes breaking in maybe?? Drove it that day and it was fine all day. Next morning same deal! Now thinking, it can't be the alt. So I go into my memory banks... two weeks ago I put in a battery hold down since my truck came without one. I check that out and sure enough.. positive battery cable was a tad loose. Tightened it up and everything is golden! Never thought a loose cable would cause that feedback type noise!

I guess the lesson is try check the simple stuff first and don't be an idiot like me.

Hidden bonus: I now have a higher amp alternator that will make my new e-fans happier.

mijohnst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip! Always good to make sure those terminals are tight.