Engine noise? Started w low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s some neat trivia: The 6.2L L92 actually had a first and second design.

The first design, built prior to April 1, 2006 contained AFM components, but were left disconnected from the ECM.

The second design eliminated the AFM components altogether.

Mine was built after that date :peace: :peace::peace:

Oh, I didn't know it went that far back. So, OP should be good to go if all he has is a bum lifter or something minor in the valvetrain.

@SiWilli, you look into it any further?

OP
OP
S

SiWilli

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Oh, I didn't know it went that far back. So, OP should be good to go if all he has is a bum lifter or something minor in the valvetrain.

@SiWilli, you look into it any further?
Bum lifter. I stopped driving it immediately and had it towed. Ended up at the dealer for repairs. They’re actually replacing all 8 and the cover on that side. Asked about the gmc satisfaction policy for repairs so I am paying half and will have a bit of a warranty. Picking up tomorrow after work.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's definitely a top end sound, lifter or busted valve spring. Good thing you didn't listen to those thieves! Glad to hear you'll have it back manana! Keep us posted!

OP
OP
S

SiWilli

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here’s some neat trivia: The 6.2L L92 actually had a first and second design.

The first design, built prior to April 1, 2006 contained AFM components, but were left disconnected from the ECM.

The second design eliminated the AFM components altogether.

Mine was built after that date :peace: :peace::peace:
And then they brought AFM back in 2010 on the L94. Which is what I have

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wowza! That sounded terrible. Glad they got it taken care of for you.

Have you thought of getting the Range AFM disabler that plugs into the OBD2 port? I use one on my 2017 and it is great, no more V4 mode. Fuel economy is still decent as well, no big hit.

I would also recommend being very diligent on your oil changes after these repairs and if you plan to use the AFM. Going by the "oil life" monitor will only cause you headaches down the road due to dirty oil that should've been out sooner.

Unless you strictly do cross country driving (looonnnggg runs, no stop/start) I would recommend 5k or less with an AC Delco filter and full synthetic oil 5w-30.

A helpful tidbit I have used occasionally myself it to run 1/2 quart of ATF in the oil about 100 miles or so before an oil change. The high detergent will wash the motor, clean up gunk in lifters, etc. It helped remedy more than 1 noisy lifter in my tenure as a mechanic.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wowza! That sounded terrible. Glad they got it taken care of for you.

Have you thought of getting the Range AFM disabler that plugs into the OBD2 port? I use one on my 2017 and it is great, no more V4 mode. Fuel economy is still decent as well, no big hit.

I would also recommend being very diligent on your oil changes after these repairs and if you plan to use the AFM. Going by the "oil life" monitor will only cause you headaches down the road due to dirty oil that should've been out sooner.

Unless you strictly do cross country driving (looonnnggg runs, no stop/start) I would recommend 5k or less with an AC Delco filter and full synthetic oil 5w-30.

A helpful tidbit I have used occasionally myself it to run 1/2 quart of ATF in the oil about 100 miles or so before an oil change. The high detergent will wash the motor, clean up gunk in lifters, etc. It helped remedy more than 1 noisy lifter in my tenure as a mechanic.
Is there a reason why you don't use 0-20 weight in your vehicle just a question.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, I have 2 yukons. My 2008 requires 5w-30 dexos. The new direct injected motors like my 2017 requires 0w-20. However, I still use 5w-30 in that one as well. The new 6.6L direct inject HD engine uses 5w-30 and is basically the same architecture, so that's my reasoning.