Engine/Motor Mount Trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just came across this older thread and was wondering if it's just the 5.3 that has the motor mount issue, or does it also involve the 6.2's as well?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with fluid filled motor mounts. They’re superior in handling driveline vibrations when properly tuned to the other mounts it’s working with.

Here’s the real issue. Replacing just one of the mounts when the others are also due to be changed. The newest mounts work the hardest and isolate the brunt of the vibration. Guess what occurs when the new mount is doing all the work? Yup, you and your money get separated.

The other factor is that there was an influx of inferior Chinese parts let into the States approx 2005. There are Chinese parts made to the standard but they’re usually only from the dealer’s own stock. There’s too many parts retailers that knowingly or unknowingly selling the subpar Chinese parts as OEM. The H3 (V8) is a rare beast and it’s cool that mount has been discovered as an alternative to to the fluid filled (hydraulic) version that either works or fails, with no in between service.

Full race set ups use urethane or frick’n solid mounts engineered to deal with the stress. Welcome to the fillings fall out of your head club like Ivan “Ironman“ Stuart racing across Baja. All I’m saying is, just like suspension, brake, tire and engine components, you’ve got to use prudence and swap them out as a unit not a part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with fluid filled motor mounts. They’re superior in handling driveline vibrations when properly tuned to the other mounts it’s working with.

Here’s the real issue. Replacing just one of the mounts when the others are also due to be changed. The newest mounts work the hardest and isolate the brunt of the vibration. Guess what occurs when the new mount is doing all the work? Yup, you and your money get separated.

The other factor is that there was an influx of inferior Chinese parts let into the States approx 2005. There are Chinese parts made to the standard but they’re usually only from the dealer’s own stock. There’s too many parts retailers that knowingly or unknowingly selling the subpar Chinese parts as OEM. The H3 (V8) is a rare beast and it’s cool that mount has been discovered as an alternative to to the fluid filled (hydraulic) version that either works or fails, with no in between service.

Full race set ups use urethane or frick’n solid mounts engineered to deal with the stress. Welcome to the fillings fall out of your head club like Ivan “Ironman“ Stuart racing across Baja. All I’m saying is, just like suspension, brake, tire and engine components, you’ve got to use prudence and swap them out as a unit not a part.

Theres plenty of people on this forum who have swapped both of them out only to have them fail again and they're a ***** to replace. The Hummer ones aren't "solid" like the race mounts which have no rubber at all. These are a known high failure rate item just like the cracked dashes. From what has been reported by the people that have swapped in the Hummer mounts, you can't really feel the difference, unlike the actual solid mounts that a member over at PT.net is selling for the pickups. There should have been a recall on the mounts and dashes. If you want to replace yours with the fluid filled ones, better just go ahead and buy 2 pairs because chances are you'll be doing it again.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I’m the guinea pig here. I’ve got another 15k or until 140k on this service contract to report on the one hydro motor mount the stealer has replaced as a covered item.

I do stab the pedal occasionally when I’m solo driver. I’m anxious to see how this goes as I’ll eventually be on my own tab for the replacement costs.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m the guinea pig here. I’ve got another 15k or until 140k on this service contract to report on the one hydro motor mount the stealer has replaced as a covered item.

I do stab the pedal occasionally when I’m solo driver. I’m anxious to see how this goes as I’ll eventually be on my own tab for the replacement costs.

If they only replaced one side under warranty, I assume you paid them to replace the other side since you just said they both need to be done at the same time?

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Nope, not @ $500 for parts & labor x1 one motor mount. With vehicle service contracts (S/C) you’ve got to take a bite at things like you’re eating an elephant.

Hope that helps or did I misunderstand a sarcastic comment. Sorry if I’m being too direct.

If they only replaced one side under warranty, I assume you paid them to replace the other side since you just said they both need to be done at the same time?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, not @ $500 for parts & labor x1 one motor mount. With vehicle service contracts (S/C) you’ve got to take a bite at things like you’re eating an elephant.

Hope that helps or did I misunderstand a sarcastic comment. Sorry if I’m being too direct.

Not trying to be sarcastic at all. But I'm still wondering why you said the problem is people replace one of these mounts when they should be replacing both but later you said you just had one replaced. I guess if you had mentioned you have a service contract that kept you from doing both it might make more sense but still you must be able to see your posts are contradicting? I'm just trying to understand your point. Sorry if it seems I was being sarcastic, I am definitely not trying to be. Anyway, I hope your mounts hold up. Guys have been trying for years to find a better mount that doesn't just fail again due to the shit design these are and finally someone who works on a fleet of these rigs found out the Hummer mount fits and doesn't break so that's where we are at now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons