Engine Heater and Cord

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8mmag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all, new member with a 2021 Yukon XL and the 3.0L Baby DMax.

Still learning about my vehicle so please bear with me. I understand the Dmax comes standard with an engine block heater and that the connector is located on the driver side of the front bumper. That part was pretty easy to figure out.

What I'm trying to figure out now is, I understand there is a connector cable that must be used between the bumper connector and the house extension cord. As far as I know I did not get one with the truck...unless they hide it somewhere I don't know about. Is this cable supposed to be included with the vehicle? If so, can you tell me where to look for it?

Thanks in advance!

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, new member with a 2021 Yukon XL and the 3.0L Baby DMax.

Still learning about my vehicle so please bear with me. I understand the Dmax comes standard with an engine block heater and that the connector is located on the driver side of the front bumper. That part was pretty easy to figure out.

What I'm trying to figure out now is, I understand there is a connector cable that must be used between the bumper connector and the house extension cord. As far as I know I did not get one with the truck...unless they hide it somewhere I don't know about. Is this cable supposed to be included with the vehicle? If so, can you tell me where to look for it?

Thanks in advance!

Did you look in the owners manual?

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is for a Sierra, which should essentially cover yours as well.

Per this forum, dont use the engine block heater unless its 0*F or lower. It can set a check engine light?

Some of the forums I have read said the plug is usually located underneath the rear seat, or in a rear storage box.

It is a proprietary cord, 100 bucks-ish from the dealer!

OP
OP

8mmag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks, but I have spent hours looking through not only the OM but the diesel supplement as well. Neither one covers this special cord and before I go back to the dealer I was hoping for the inside scoop on the cord from all the good folks here.

Those of you with engine block heaters, could you advise me if the cord is supposed to come with the vehicle? If it is, can you provide some clues where I should look for it? Please...

OP
OP

8mmag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is for a Sierra, which should essentially cover yours as well.

Per this forum, dont use the engine block heater unless its 0*F or lower. It can set a check engine light?

Some of the forums I have read said the plug is usually located underneath the rear seat, or in a rear storage box.

It is a proprietary cord, 100 bucks-ish from the dealer!
Are you saying you have to buy it separately, that it does not come with the vehicle?

OP
OP

8mmag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did also see that gmtrucks forum thread as well, it seems to indicate the cord comes with the vehicle. Should have mentioned i did some online searching before I asked too...

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my research, its supposed to come with it. It may have gotten taken out during dealer prep, and not put back with the truck. I would ask the dealer.

OP
OP

8mmag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you, I'll give them a call in the morning...