Engine cooling fan kicks on upon starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TeIam25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2012 Tahoe LTZ. My engine cooling fan kicks on within 30sec to a minute after starting my vehicle. It'll do it if its sat all night, all day at work, or even if I've been in the store for a little bit. While driving it will turn off and then turn back on high. Is there anything I should be looking at other than Engine Coolant Temp sensor? Temp on dash never exceeds 210.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup... Check your HVAC controls... Any AC, Front Defrost, Defrost will cycle the compressor therefore turning
on the engine fans..
IF that doesn't solve it then. Temp Sending Unit or a fan relay could be malfunctioning

OP
OP
T

TeIam25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah no A/C or defrost on. I'll check the relay and if not it move to the Temp Sensor. Thanks.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah no A/C or defrost on. I'll check the relay and if not it move to the Temp Sensor. Thanks.
Make sure to update this when you find the issue so we can all learn new thing or two !!!

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
My 2013 does this too. It doesn’t concern me and I assumed it was a system test. I agree I could be related to the A/C compressor being commanded on.

OP
OP
T

TeIam25

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update, it was the engine coolant temp sensor. Fan has stayed off. Going to watch it for a few more days though. Very easy to access and change out, took less than 2 mins loosening old one, swapping parts, and tightening the new one. And it's an inexpensive fix so that's a bonus too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts