Engine cooling fan always on when running, a/c-recirculation 3 blink

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
if there is power to the fuse box clutch relay but it isnt cycling the compressor than gound the meter to chassis and probe the connector for 12 volts, nothing there, im not sure if the dryer switch is normally open or closed by design but if you replaced it and no change that isnt it. does one side of the ac clutch measure infinite to ground? if the system is blinking it is aware of a fault and should be coding a component problem. are you sure of proper servicing as stated above? as stated above, without the diagnostic equipment, tech2/pressure gauges you might be better off taking it to an ac specialty shop to isolate it? it maybe as simple as over/under servicing? No 12 volts to compressor could be an open wire or the system is functioning as designed and not allowing clutch engagement to protect the compressor.

OP
OP
T

tomustang

Reaction score
How do you know that the refrigerant level is fine? What are the internal trouble codes? What are your low and high side pressures at idle?

Ac was always ice cold, the system just stopped automatically one day, even when I jump a 12-volt source to the ac compressor with the car running it's still ice cold. I threw a A/C recharger on and showed full. No leaks anywhere.

There is no codes.

I don't have a way to test high and low pressure yet

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no codes.

What kind of tool did you check with if you don't mind my asking? I find it odd that the system would blink 3 times telling you something is wrong with no internal codes stored. A Tech-2 type device can check for these codes and see the pressures as the car's computer sees them. Then again, maybe one of those sensors failed and that's why the compressor has shut down to protect itself.

OP
OP
T

tomustang

Reaction score
What kind of tool did you check with if you don't mind my asking? I find it odd that the system would blink 3 times telling you something is wrong with no internal codes stored. A Tech-2 type device can check for these codes and see the pressures as the car's computer sees them. Then again, maybe one of those sensors failed and that's why the compressor has shut down to protect itself.

ELM327.

I have replaced the engine temp sensor, the a/c pressure sensor, and have swapped out the two sensors behind the bumper that monitor outside air temp

OP
OP
T

tomustang

Reaction score
To reiterate the HVAC controls.

I start the car cold, for 15 seconds the high speed fans are off, i turn on hvac power, I have recirculation function, and Automatic isn't forced on.

After 15 seconds the high-speed fans turn on, and when pressed the recirculation and AC buttons flash 3 times. If I shut the car off and turn it back on the hvac starts in automatic mode.

To add to this, last year on a hot day I started the car and had this problem where I had no AC, when I started looking up the problem I found a post where someone said to unplug the battery for a few minutes and try again. That fixed the problem then.

I've tried that this time and it didn't work, on top of that it killed my clock and I had to go in to a special menu and reset the clock. Since resetting the clock, a day went by without disconnecting the battery and the clock automatically got killed again.

For reference you go to: Display, push the bottom left corner for a few seconds and a pin pad appears, you type 295660, go to Next Page, Set Time.

OP
OP
T

tomustang

Reaction score
Well, you can buy one or stop by my home and we'll put mine on it. Live in Florida?

I appreciate the offer, however I'm further up north.

I haven't scheduled to go into the dealership so they could do the diagnosis and I can go from there, if it turns out to be something like the ECM I'll just trade it in.

OP
OP
T

tomustang

Reaction score
Ended up testing a different high pressure a/c switch and hvac control module, not difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe