ELM327 OBD Bluetooth Diagnostic Module That Can Scan Other Modules Such As ABS, BCM, TCM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used the elm327 for modules other than the standard ecm obd2 codes.. it's more about the pids you have loaded in the app than the adapter. it's just a chip sending and receiving data.

I can read the live data from my hybrid battery pack module, because someone found the pids and how to add them to torque pro. I've even seen it used with a terminal app and a obd2 splitter cable to see all the data over the can bus. it's memory is very small but it's there.

that said, most apps are gimmicks and pids are mostly impossible to find. if you want a proper scanner that works across all models easily. it's going to be expensive, probably need a subscription too. it's annoying

the best list of working elm327 bluetooth adapters I've found is on a website for the prius, called Dr prius. he has a nice list of them that work with his app. his app only works on the Toyota's but using the cheap Bluetooth adapters you can send requests to enable the hybrid battery fan to max and a few other things. that would fall under the list of bi-directional. but truth is all obd2 scanners are bi-directional. they send the request to the ecm over the can bus for data, and then the requested data is returned to it. that's 2 directions. asking the ecm or any other module to do something we consider bi-directional like rolling the windows up and down is exactly the same. you're just sending a different request, but it's over the same format, just with a different header location and data pack that's proprietary to that car. the obd2 fault codes are the only thing they are forced to standardized, so we have those. the rest is propriety, so we don't have it for free. but if you did you could use it.

that said once you get into the 80$ range guys have used these to actually flash code changes using open source software like pcm hammer and tuner pro type of software.

obd link LX and OBDX Pro VX are 2 I see those guys use.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not the ELM327 "protocol". Need a bi-directional scan tool to talk to all modules across all brands. Scotty Kilmer has mentioned them before.

I'm not a ban that guy type of person but the fact that Scotty Kilmer exists on YouTube makes me sad. what an awful click bate artist

OP
OP
BlaineBug

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a ban that guy type of person but the fact that Scotty Kilmer exists on YouTube makes me sad. what an awful click bate artist
He is entertaining, at least he was actually a mechanic. He must be "retired" now as I cannot remember how long it has been since I have seen him turn a wrench. His channel is fully commentary now it seems.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

He is entertaining, at least he was actually a mechanic. He must be "retired" now as I cannot remember how long it has been since I have seen him turn a wrench. His channel is fully commentary now it seems.
It seems to me that he mostly quit working on cars when he moved from Houston. I think he went to Oklahoma but haven't watched his shows in a while. He did some great reviews back in the day on tools he used to work on cars including the bi-directional scan tools.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used the elm327 for modules other than the standard ecm obd2 codes.. it's more about the pids you have loaded in the app than the adapter. it's just a chip sending and receiving data.

I can read the live data from my hybrid battery pack module, because someone found the pids and how to add them to torque pro. I've even seen it used with a terminal app and a obd2 splitter cable to see all the data over the can bus. it's memory is very small but it's there.

that said, most apps are gimmicks and pids are mostly impossible to find. if you want a proper scanner that works across all models easily. it's going to be expensive, probably need a subscription too. it's annoying

the best list of working elm327 bluetooth adapters I've found is on a website for the prius, called Dr prius. he has a nice list of them that work with his app. his app only works on the Toyota's but using the cheap Bluetooth adapters you can send requests to enable the hybrid battery fan to max and a few other things. that would fall under the list of bi-directional. but truth is all obd2 scanners are bi-directional. they send the request to the ecm over the can bus for data, and then the requested data is returned to it. that's 2 directions. asking the ecm or any other module to do something we consider bi-directional like rolling the windows up and down is exactly the same. you're just sending a different request, but it's over the same format, just with a different header location and data pack that's proprietary to that car. the obd2 fault codes are the only thing they are forced to standardized, so we have those. the rest is propriety, so we don't have it for free. but if you did you could use it.

that said once you get into the 80$ range guys have used these to actually flash code changes using open source software like pcm hammer and tuner pro type of software.

obd link LX and OBDX Pro VX are 2 I see those guys use.
I see the LX mentions it can interface with the canbus, it might work someone would have try it perhaps with there app
the issue mostly at hand (I think) is that things like SRS and ABS are not OBD. so most of these bt dongles won't work in that regard, at least not for gm.
maybe it is like the handheld wired scanners where some lower level ones do not read abs/srs and only read basic codes, if you want those functions it just cost's more.

kaiserwillie

Reaction score
I see the LX mentions it can interface with the canbus, it might work someone would have try it perhaps with there app
the issue mostly at hand (I think) is that things like SRS and ABS are not OBD. so most of these bt dongles won't work in that regard, at least not for gm.
maybe it is like the handheld wired scanners where some lower level ones do not read abs/srs and only read basic codes, if you want those functions it just cost's more.
I recently purchased a tablet based bi-directional scan tool called the X-tool D7. They also make a bi-directional bluetooth dongal called the A30D & A30M.
The software is a free download with I think lifetime free updates for the Bluetooth dongals. The only difference from my scan tool is I have the ability to program keys with the tablet. Amazon has them. Works on my 2016 Yukon and 2013 Hyundai.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a tablet based bi-directional scan tool called the X-tool D7. They also make a bi-directional bluetooth dongal called the A30D & A30M.
The software is a free download with I think lifetime free updates for the Bluetooth dongals. The only difference from my scan tool is I have the ability to program keys with the tablet. Amazon has them. Works on my 2016 Yukon and 2013 Hyundai.
Program keys from scratch or with 2 existing already?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/XTOOL-Automotive-Diagnostic-Bi-Directional-Programming/dp/B098LF38DS

The description does not make it clear if you need existing keys or not. I imagine you would though - how else could you cycle the ignition on without a key in a modern vehicle?
that's not what I mean, the security on the k2's is leveled up
with no programmed key at all it requires a certain procedure
with 1 programmed key it requires a different procedure to add another key
with 2 programmed keys it is like the gmt900's, which is easy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy