Electrical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alextsten1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, new owner of a 2014 tahoe police. The big round dome light they put on doesn't work. It's not getting power. So I thought I'd see if anyone knows if they disconnect it or what when they're tearing it down for sale. And I was curious about the remote start. The wiring looks functional but the box is missing. Would I need to just buy another system of the same and plug it in?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Those guys decommissioning them cut and rip out all sorts of stuff without a care. That’s part of the initial pain of ownership.

A subscription to one of the online services that provide service manuals and electrical schematics is well worth it. I use Mitchell.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that initial pain of ownership thought. It was true for both of mine. @alextsten1 you'll probably find something very simple like a disconnected wire. Finding that spot is the challenge. One of mine was savaged in the auxilliary wiring department. The other was intact, but the horn ring was not properly reconnected. That only took 2 weeks to find.

OP
OP
A

alextsten1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you all. Im also trying to take advantage of the electrical system of this truck. Do any of you know what kind/type of inverter I would need for my milwaukee battery charger? I'm setting this truck up for work and want to use all of its potential. First thing I noticed, anything that's not bolted down is gonna be thrown everywhere while driving. Lol

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Thank you all. Im also trying to take advantage of the electrical system of this truck. Do any of you know what kind/type of inverter I would need for my milwaukee battery charger? I'm setting this truck up for work and want to use all of its potential. First thing I noticed, anything that's not bolted down is gonna be thrown everywhere while driving. Lol

Give us the electrical labels ratings from the tool charger label. The va rating is the important one. I’m guessing a 400w inverter is adequate for your use. Personally I would spend a bit more to get a pure sine wave inverter, just because you’ll never need to be concerned about the quality of the power if you plug in anything sensitive.

Modified sine wave (MSW) are cheaper.

I prefer name brands with a good reputation like Magnum, Xantrex, but that level of equipment might be overkill, depending on your needs. I see small stuff on Amazon under $100 but I know little about them. The market is flooded with cheap Chinese units.

Most of my experience has been with bigger inverters for commercial or RV use.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
They removed the red/white led dome light on mine. I wanted the cop dome light so I bought the exact same one they removed but couldn't find the power source so I spiced it into the front overhead light. No problems.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They removed the red/white led dome light on mine. I wanted the cop dome light so I bought the exact same one they removed but couldn't find the power source so I spiced it into the front overhead light. No problems.
Which light did you get? I’ve been thinking about an Able2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2