Electric Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thehulk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I actually did the project a while ago and never posted a thread because one, I forgot about it for a while but I also wanted to make sure that what I did would work. and now that I know it does, here we go. My mom and I both drive obs Tahoes, and one night with talking to my dad he told me that one thing he had always wanted to do to my moms tahoe was put electric fans in it. after some research, it seemed like a pretty cool little project, but expensive. So I figured out to find a cheaper, but functional alternative. So what I found after lots of research, planning, and searching amazon, I found that I would most likely need two electric fans, a shroud, and a wiring harness. I found a 14 inch ProComp electric fan for $18 that would fit great on the radiator and had a low draw, a wiring harness for $50 that would would allow me to control what temperature the fans run at, and be able to run two fans, and for the shrouds I took two drip pans, cut one edge off of each and riveted them together. the drip pans were $7 each plus $5 shipping. so now I have all the components, and this is how it went together.

I started by removing the old fan and shroud of course. the drip pans I ordered fit perfectly on the radiator top to bottom, and there was a lip were the old shroud bolted on that supported the new one perfect. so then I cut one edge off of both pan and set it against the radiator overlapping and push it to the edge of the radiator and marked where it lined up. the removed it and riveted it a bunch all over the place except for where I would be cutting the holes for the fans. after test fitting, I marked the holes for the fans and cut them out. I then riveted the fans onto the shroud. ATT_1443556015880_20150124_164514 (2).jpg ATT_1443556015860_20150124_164533.jpg

I then riveted the control module in between the fans.
ATT_1443556015840_20150124_171359.jpg

so then It was time ti figure out how to mount it. So I added small pieces of aluminum to the bottom with holes in them that mounted up to the old holes on the original shroud, and for the top I drilled holes to use zip tie things that come with the fans.
ATT_1443556015820_20150124_174409 (2).jpg

I then put the shroud in place and mounted it up in its final position. Put the bolts in the bottom, and ran the fan zip tie things through the shroud and radiator.

ATT_1443556015750_20150124_185427.jpg

Next was time to wire them up. There is 6 wires that must be wired for this project.

1. an ignition source
2. ground
3. positive to the battery
4. A/C compressor
5. Positive to the fans
6. ground to the fans
* Also the temp prob but there is no wiring involved with that.

The Positive wire is simple enough, just send hat to the battery, the ground I grounded on one of the old holes from the shroud. The positive and negative to the fans is also easy enough. for an ignition source I spliced into one of the wires on the cruise control, not sure which color I will have to check. And for the A/C I spliced into I think the green wire coming off the A/C compressor.

The temp probe plugs into the wire Harness and then is pushed into the radiator. I used A zip tie to keep it in place. I'll attach a few more pics in the comments.

After that, run the truck. Make sure they are coming on at the right temp, if not adjust it with a screw driver. Make sure they are coming on with the A/C compressor and are not coming on after the truck is off.

It has now been a few months and they work amazing. You have a lot more room to work on the front of the engine, they keep the motor at the temp I choose. You can see the temp starting to reach the temp the fans are supposed to come on, then hear then fans come on, fun for 20 seconds, watch the temp drop, and the fans turn off. they have a very low draw and I couldn't be happier. no rust on the shroud or anything, also I did notice some power gains off a stop, and it feels a like it has a little more torque when pulling a trailer.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very cool inexpensive project.

Happy to hear that it has worked out so well and thank you for sharing!

OP
OP
thehulk

thehulk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Figured I'd share for anyone thinking of doing this because one thing I remember is that there was not much information out there for this application

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
man it im glad u shared the pics. looks much better than i ever would have thought

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
man it im glad u shared the pics. looks much better than i ever would have thought

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094