Electric fans with clutch fan possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For noise - quieter. They only run when they need.

Performance - more. No parasitic draw.
Cooling - yes. Our rigs have had efans since 2005.
If your cooling system is failing you, you need to determine how and why. I still want to know how you're measuring temperature. The gauge on the dash has a pretty wide 'dead zone' and will stay in the middle from ~180-220 degrees. So if that's your guidance, I'd suggest using a scan tool to check coolant temps and validate the nature of your problem.

Regarding overheating present unless you raise engine RPM:
- Check coolant level and condition. Start the car, take the cap off your coolant tank, grab a multi meter and set to DCV. Dunk one end in the coolant, the other to ground. If you get 0.3v or more, than your coolant is shot.
- Any buildup in the reservoir? If it's there, it's elsewhere too.
- How's that thermostat? Aftermarket ones have a smaller valve by about 30%. OEM ONLY.
- Heater cores plugged up? If they are, you'll overheat because of how these systems are plumbed.
- How's that fan clutch doing? They wear out. When they fail, the fan won't spin fast enough to move the air needed to cool your engine.
- If your coolant is nasty, among other things like clogging up the radiator / heater cores, you can also ***** your water pump. The impeller is metal. It too is subject to corrosion
I had an old Ford Ranger that was high mileage, ridden hard and put away wet before I got it. Lack of fluid changes on the cooling system apparently allowed metal water pump impeller rust away. The only thing left to the impeller was a flat disc that looked like a pizza cutter. Blades and blade tips, the parts that actually move the coolant, were long gone. I actually overheated in the middle of winter when that failed completely.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
You DO NOT mix old school green with any of the others.
"When orange and green antifreeze mix, there’s likely to be a chemical reaction that causes it to thicken into a gel-like substance."

You know "Boomer" is a term that references a US Submarine that carries nuclear tipped warheads, right? That term was coined way before many of the kids out there that blab about it supposedly meaning an "older person". Boomers have been out there in the oceans and called that way before many of those kid's parents were even out of high school.
Interesting
I was always under the impression it was because of the baby boomer generation - thriving economic boom post WWII and sharp rise in birth rates. Didn't realize there was a double meaning. Learn something new every day!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For noise - quieter. They only run when they need.

Performance - more. No parasitic draw.
Cooling - yes. Our rigs have had efans since 2005.
If your cooling system is failing you, you need to determine how and why. I still want to know how you're measuring temperature. The gauge on the dash has a pretty wide 'dead zone' and will stay in the middle from ~180-220 degrees. So if that's your guidance, I'd suggest using a scan tool to check coolant temps and validate the nature of your problem.

Regarding overheating present unless you raise engine RPM:
- Check coolant level and condition. Start the car, take the cap off your coolant tank, grab a multi meter and set to DCV. Dunk one end in the coolant, the other to ground. If you get 0.3v or more, than your coolant is shot.
- Any buildup in the reservoir? If it's there, it's elsewhere too.
- How's that thermostat? Aftermarket ones have a smaller valve by about 30%. OEM ONLY.
- Heater cores plugged up? If they are, you'll overheat because of how these systems are plumbed.
- How's that fan clutch doing? They wear out. When they fail, the fan won't spin fast enough to move the air needed to cool your engine.
- If your coolant is nasty, among other things like clogging up the radiator / heater cores, you can also ***** your water pump. The impeller is metal. It too is subject to corrosion
Your 05 Tahoe LT has factory Efans? Thats odd, My 05 Denali does not have efans.
Any rhyme or reason as to when the Efans were implemented and did the timeframe of implementation vary between GMC, Chevy, Cadillac or submodels(LS, LT, etc.) of those brands for C and K chassis?

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's likely because you have the 6.0 vs. the 5.3. I'll check my 2005 Suburban 1500, but I know the 2005 Suburban 2500 has a clutch fan.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Your 05 Tahoe LT has factory Efans? Thats odd, My 05 Denali does not have efans.
Any rhyme or reason as to when the Efans were implemented and did the timeframe of implementation vary between GMC, Chevy, Cadillac or submodels(LS, LT, etc.) of those brands for C and K chassis?
Curious. I thought they all had efans starting in '05. That was actually one of the reasons why I was shopping in the 05-06 range was because it had factory efans.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that all half ton trucks and SUV's came with E-fans starting in 2005. And you have a Yukon Denali right? Not a Sierra Denali? Because the Sierra Denalis I think were actually built on a 3/4 ton chassis, but they still had 6 lug wheels. Only other thing I can think of if maybe you had a VERY early build 2005? Like maybe is was actually built in 2004 but labeled as a 2005 model year? Look at the door sticker to find the actual build date, it should say the month and year it was actually built.
I've personally removed a factory E-fan harness from Yukon Denali in a salvage yard. I can't remember for certain whether it was a 05 or 06, or what engine it had, all I can say for certain is that it was a NBS Yukon Denali with factory Electric Fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu