Electric fans enough for 3/4 ton XL that tows?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering converting my 00 Yukon XL to electric fans. Do they move enough air to keep a 6.0L cool with 8k of trailer behind it? I have read that they turn off over a certain MPH, if the engine temp comes up on a long uphill pull, will the e fans kick on and pull enough air to keep it cool like a clutch fan engaging would?

I am hesitant to lose the guaranteed cooling power of a clutch fan but also like the benefits of the electric fans.

Thanks!

SpinNice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, fans move plenty of air. I did the stock Escalade setup from a 2006 on all 3 of my trucks and they do just fine. 1 of which is a plow truck that always ran high temps and real high trans temps. Whoever turns on your fan controls in your ecm, can set the fan on / off temp to whatever you desire if your that worried. Now I’m not sure, but check with a tuner. You may be able to change the fan options while in tow mode, to not have fans shut off until a certain speed. In other words, have the truck act stock with standard on off temps while not towing, and while in tow mode, have a complete different truck. I programmed mine with hp tuners, but everyone says Blackbear is the way to go. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
bfourman

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I already have a BB tune, so that will be the way I'll go. I have a list of things I want to update/change anyway.

As far as harnesses go, ls1fans or Nelson? I have read pos/neg of both. The likelihood of finding OEM locally is slim to none, probably end up with a Dorman or Spectra unit and aftermarket harness.

SpinNice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I already have a BB tune, so that will be the way I'll go. I have a list of things I want to update/change anyway.

As far as harnesses go, ls1fans or Nelson? I have read pos/neg of both. The likelihood of finding OEM locally is slim to none, probably end up with a Dorman or Spectra unit and aftermarket harness.
@ScottyBoy is your guy for that. Got my harness from him and it was flawless. But, better get in line, there is a long list of people waiting on his harnesses lol

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ScottyBoy is your guy for that. Got my harness from him and it was flawless. But, better get in line, there is a long list of people waiting on his harnesses lol

I'm fresh out of OEM harnesses for the time being. I pretty much ransacked every self service junkyard within two hours of me, and I got EVERY OEM fan harness that I could find. The ONLY harnesses still available around here are at the full service yards and they won't even sell them unless you want to fork out $150-$200 to buy the ENTIRE front wiring harness off the truck.
I've considered making some custom fan harnesses to offer for sale, but I'm just leery about the long term reliability of the relays. Especially since Nelson and LS1FANS have both had melting problems with theirs. I've seen some 80amp relays on Amazon and wondered how those would hold up to the current and the heat.

OP
OP
bfourman

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As luck would have it I may have located a '05 Silverado 4.3L at a local yard. Rockauto shows the same P/N across the board for cooling fans so I am going to try and check it out tomorrow; hopefully I can scoop the fans and wiring harness both.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
As luck would have it I may have located a '05 Silverado 4.3L at a local yard. Rockauto shows the same P/N across the board for cooling fans so I am going to try and check it out tomorrow; hopefully I can scoop the fans and wiring harness both.
I'm sure there's alot of curious member', here, including myself, on how these will work out. Keep us updated.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure there's alot of curious member', here, including myself, on how these will work out. Keep us updated.

I can confirm, that the 05 v6 trucks had the same fans as the V8 trucks. I've pulled a few myself. I'm not exactly sure about the radiator, but it's definitely wide enough to use the same fans so it's a 34" radiator. Probably overkill for a V6, but that's what all the 05-06 (and 07 Classic) trucks got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts