E85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been babying this tank of E85. 16 mpg so far. Usually when I check the gauge with the pump when I fill, the gauge is a little conservative. So it may be slightly better than 16.
At 2.099 per gallon, that's just over $0.13/mile. That's less than a penny more than the old minivan on gasoline.
But I can't drive like this forever. LOL. Gotta live!

That's a penny more than my daughter pays to drive her Kia around! Pretty cool, what are you driving again? My best ever going through a full tank was just over 13 mpg combined and the last 5 averaged 11.95 mpg. If my wife hadn't driven the truck it would surely have been well over 12! LOL

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Okay, James... Here's what I got. Been running Mobil 89 at about 3.18/gal depending. I'm usually about 16 mpg. Ran it until my range was under 40. Filled up e85 this morning for 2.05/gal.

Fuel used: 21.1
Avg. mpg: 16.1
Trip odo: 340.5
Odo: 138626
Pump fill: 23.435

Driven 30 miles, Avg mpg already down to 11.3.

I will run a few tanks, and my tech 2 should be ordered this weekend, so I can see alcohol content down the road. We shall see.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remote start and allow the truck to get up to operating temperature before I drive it so I know this affects my MPG
I would rather burn a little more fuel and drive a warmed up vehicle than to save a little fuel and do more potential damage by driving a vehicle that the oils aren't up to temp and flowing good yet.

I'm with you, I don't care what anyone says, the entire engine needs to be properly oiled before it's asked to work. On a side note, My L9H requires a warm up, if I don't it'll sound like a diesel, haha.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I know this may not be the best place to post and ask this but...

I have been kicking around the idea of trying the Mobil 1 0w20 full synthetic in the Burb.

I know it calls for 5w30 and that is what I always use but I have been pondering this for a little while.

I wish I could find a 0w30 so the viscosity would stay the same when up to temp but no place local carries it so I would have to order it.

Just curious if anyone thinks there would be any issue from running a 20 weight oil as opposed to a 30 weight???

Thought it might improve the fuel economy ever so slightly... lol

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
When you plug in our trucks on Mobil One's website under the oil finder, 0W30 is an option. See if O'Reilly's has it in stock.

So you think 20 weight wouldn't be a good idea.

I can order the Mobil 1 0w30 from Wal-Mart for about $23/5 quart jug it looks like.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you think 20 weight wouldn't be a good idea.

I can order the Mobil 1 0w30 from Wal-Mart for about $23/5 quart jug it looks like.

I would be cautious and find someone who has done it already and query them as to what affects it has had. I remember as a kid I poured just about everything into the crankcase of the '79 but went back to 10W30. The reasons are lost to me now.

Bucky1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a penny more than my daughter pays to drive her Kia around! Pretty cool, what are you driving again? My best ever going through a full tank was just over 13 mpg combined and the last 5 averaged 11.95 mpg. If my wife hadn't driven the truck it would surely have been well over 12! LOL

Its a 12 Denali xl. 6.2L. Took it an a two hour trip tonight and was hustling to get there after a late start. Down to 13.3 mpg now. LOL. It's thirsty when you stick your foot in it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a 12 Denali xl. 6.2L. Took it an a two hour trip tonight and was hustling to get there after a late start. Down to 13.3 mpg now. LOL. It's thirsty when you stick your foot in it.

Yeah, still very good. Your is rated for 10 city and 14 or 15 highway.

97audia4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a station 4 mile away that has E85, Im going to give it a try when I get down to a gallon or so. For 2.09 its worth a shot.