E85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure about lantana, lake worth road and congress is another racetrac that i fill e85 sometimes but you have to get off at 10th or 6th ave (no lake worth rd exit off 95)
the sonoco at okeechobee/441 i think i went looking for it one time with no luck, gas station is a cumberland farms at that corner..theres a rec90 pump behind it i was thinking maybe there they just sold 5gal containers of e85 there but never went inside - aint got time for that lol.
turnpike it usually the most convenient, but ive been avoiding it as it adds $8 round trip to my commute a day adds up pretty quick, i95 still sucks tho

and e85 has been creeping up lately it seems 2.19-2.45ish

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and e85 has been creeping up lately it seems 2.19-2.45ish

Thanks!

Sunoco for the most part has uniform prices and for the last several weeks has been $2.29 a gallon. Racetrac and Shell have been quite a bit more. I use the Gas Buddy app on the phone, the website doesn't do E85 for some reason but the app does.

I can't remember if it was the Sunoco on Kenner Hwy/Arundel in Stuart or the one west of the Turnpike on Indiantown Rd road that has 100 unleaded at the pump. I think all of our E85 comes from Port Consolidated, all the stations up here says it is not their brand's fuel.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished one tank yesterday and burned through almost another. $.20 cents a mile, alcohol content on both tanks was/is 80%. Never had it that high before, the 5th and 6th tanks of E85 since switching back over.

Ran into a youngster driving a 2006 F-150, says he gets 18 mpg on E85. What do y'all think about that? I get 18 mpg at 40 mph, but such is only at that speed.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Finished one tank yesterday and burned through almost another. $.20 cents a mile, alcohol content on both tanks was/is 80%. Never had it that high before, the 5th and 6th tanks of E85 since switching back over.

Ran into a youngster driving a 2006 F-150, says he gets 18 mpg on E85. What do y'all think about that? I get 18 mpg at 40 mph, but such is only at that speed.

Did the deed this morning. When you do your calcs, which numbers are your using? My "fuel used" always disagrees with the pump. I'm assuming that you use your trip odometer and the refill amount from the pump?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the deed this morning. When you do your calcs, which numbers are your using? My "fuel used" always disagrees with the pump. I'm assuming that you use your trip odometer and the refill amount from the pump?

We are fortunate to have much information available to us for making accurate calculations. I use the fuel used and not the pump. I have no way of knowing exactly how much fuel was used. Sometimes I might pump 28 gallons but only use 26, does the pump click off at the same amount in the tank every time? Not in my experience. When the light comes on, there's a range of fuel in the tank, could be 4 gallons, 5 or 3? Can't see it. So I figure the best way is like a pilot, to trust my instruments.

I don't use the trip odometer either. I have Excel set up to subtract from the previous odometer reading. I record every relevant DIC function.

Consider this:

Since October of last year, I've pumped 630.35 gallons of fuel (according to pumps and receipts). The DICs Fuel Used is 572.5 gallons of fuel. The odometer reading shows 7187 miles while the trip odometer says 7080.36. The odometer shows only whole numbers, but it is possible that the trip could be reset but I make it a habit of resetting everything after fueling and before driving away. So there's a 107 miles missing and almost 58 gallons missing. Where'd it go? Does some evaporate? Is the filling station's receipt inaccurate? Certainly possible, we've all read stories about rigged pumps. Time of day affects fuel as it expands and contracts. And then there are the remote starts. Do these figure in to the calculations? I do not know. I remote start almost always. What do you think?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
We are fortunate to have much information available to us for making accurate calculations. I use the fuel used and not the pump. I have no way of knowing exactly how much fuel was used. Sometimes I might pump 28 gallons but only use 26, does the pump click off at the same amount in the tank every time? Not in my experience. When the light comes on, there's a range of fuel in the tank, could be 4 gallons, 5 or 3? Can't see it. So I figure the best way is like a pilot, to trust my instruments.

I don't use the trip odometer either. I have Excel set up to subtract from the previous odometer reading. I record every relevant DIC function.

Consider this:

Since October of last year, I've pumped 630.35 gallons of fuel (according to pumps and receipts). The DICs Fuel Used is 572.5 gallons of fuel. The odometer reading shows 7187 miles while the trip odometer says 7080.36. The odometer shows only whole numbers, but it is possible that the trip could be reset but I make it a habit of resetting everything after fueling and before driving away. So there's a 107 miles missing and almost 58 gallons missing. Where'd it go? Does some evaporate? Is the filling station's receipt inaccurate? Certainly possible, we've all read stories about rigged pumps. Time of day affects fuel as it expands and contracts. And then there are the remote starts. Do these figure in to the calculations? I do not know. I remote start almost always. What do you think?

I remote start and allow the truck to get up to operating temperature before I drive it so I know this affects my MPG.

My wife cranks the truck when she gets in and leaves almost immediately.

I would rather burn a little more fuel and drive a warmed up vehicle than to save a little fuel and do more potential damage by driving a vehicle that the oils aren't up to temp and flowing good yet.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remote start and allow the truck to get up to operating temperature before I drive it so I know this affects my MPG.

My wife cranks the truck when she gets in and leaves almost immediately.

I would rather burn a little more fuel and drive a warmed up vehicle than to save a little fuel and do more potential damage by driving a vehicle that the oils aren't up to temp and flowing good yet.

We're old diesel guys! My wife does the same. I've had to leave the house right away a few times and noticed that the motor burns a lot more fuel on the drive out of the neighborhood than on the way in when the motor is up to temp. I reckon she's running rich to get warmed up fast. What do you think?

I still drive fairly slow out of the neighborhood for the drivetrain and steel to warm up too. Treated this way, my cars seemed to be more trouble free.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
We're old diesel guys! My wife does the same. I've had to leave the house right away a few times and noticed that the motor burns a lot more fuel on the drive out of the neighborhood than on the way in when the motor is up to temp. I reckon she's running rich to get warmed up fast. What do you think?

I still drive fairly slow out of the neighborhood for the drivetrain and steel to warm up too. Treated this way, my cars seemed to be more trouble free.

I'm definitely an old diesel guy... lol... been driving Tractor trailer for a long time... my Dad drove for 40+ years and actually died over the steering wheel of a Peterbilt... fortunately he was not driving at the time.

They definitely dump more fuel when warming up until they start reading from the O2 sensors.

Bucky1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been babying this tank of E85. 16 mpg so far. Usually when I check the gauge with the pump when I fill, the gauge is a little conservative. So it may be slightly better than 16.
At 2.099 per gallon, that's just over $0.13/mile. That's less than a penny more than the old minivan on gasoline.
But I can't drive like this forever. LOL. Gotta live!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne