1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dying on idle.

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by 2007 Denali XL, Jul 10, 2020.

1. 2007 Denali XL

2007 Denali XL Member

Name:
    Andrew
    How hard is it to swap out the fuel pump, the part seems cheap and the quotes I am getting are $800 plus.

I can do intermediate jobs but don't have a tech2

2. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Build It Better Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    It’s fairly easy, you just have to drop the gas tank. Much easier if the tank is empty. I disconnected the filler hose and siphoned all the fuel out from there. I suggest having new tank strap bolts/ nut clips on hand since they tend to rust out and break when you remove the straps. After you drop the tank there’s a big ring that holds the pump in place so just use a hammer and punch to spin it and it releases the pump.

PNW VietVet likes this.
  3. treehan77

treehan77 TYF Fiend

Name:
    Travis
    My fuel gauge would go to empty just parked on a slight decline. That stopped after I replaced the fuel pump. Pretty easy in the driveway with jack and stands. I used a second jack and some wood to hold the tank up. Make sure you disconnect all the lines, there’s several.

4. JoeM5952

JoeM5952 Member

Name:
    Joe
    I have had this same thing on my '05 XL for a couple years. In the summer it happens and in the winter it goes away. Never any codes. I have gotten used to in the summer I turn the key to on an let is sit for couple seconds to prime, sometimes while driving and I stop at a stop light the idle starts to dip and power brake it lightly to keep it running.

The truck isn't my daily anymore but I did drive it across the country twice and it did great.

5. treehan77

treehan77 TYF Fiend

Name:
    Travis
    Btw the new pump I got from rock auto was redesigned, I believe the float is now in a slightly different area. Worked fine.

PNW VietVet likes this.
  6. 2007 Denali XL

2007 Denali XL Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Did you ever find the source of the fault, did you repair it?

7. JoeM5952

JoeM5952 Member

Name:
    Joe
    Nope, right now it is consistently not doing it since the summer heat is gone.

8. 2007 Denali XL

2007 Denali XL Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Do you think it is a fuel pump issue?

9. JoeM5952

JoeM5952 Member

Name:
    Joe
    Honestly not sure, when it is summer if I flip the key and let it set for a few seconds it starts right up. If I just go for a start right away it just cranks forever. I think it loses the prime for some reason or has a drop in pressure.

10. 2007 Denali XL

2007 Denali XL Member

Name:
    Andrew
    I have another thread going about a coolant leak issue, which I think I have resolved. The car is running much better now with a fresh load of coolant and I wonder if the dying on idle (when hot) was associated to the engine getting to hot or something similar. I still intend to replace the fuel pump but the symptoms for now seem to have gone away