Dual Battery Setup In a 99

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted my third batt under the rear pass side right behind
leaf spring but do you have AC in the rear with the evap & blower?

the hoses may cause clearance problem or the batt will hang lower
i think it will work. here's a pic and i would use 4 ga run it
under truck and a fuse at both ends and a high amp
selonoid not a isolator. just reply if you want more detail
on the rear batt.

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 46
OP
OP
99 2dr

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have rear AC. It looks like i could maybe move it around so the battery would fit. Would i fail visual inspection if the pump was there, just not in the original location? It wouldn't be hard to move.

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh!!!! Its a 2door this might change the rear under the truck ideal.

badcarma

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry don't mean to jack your thread but i have reciently purchased a 1999 tahoe and was also interested in using the second battery tray to mount a battery,i live in texas and in a county where i dont have to do the smog testing for state inspection. So is it possable to remove the air pump completely which is mounted in that second battery tray or relocate it to another place ? My Thaoe has 186,000 miles and was a police vehicle in its previous life but is not the heavy duty police package model.still running but needa some TLC. Thanks in advance.

tahoecowboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so bumping this old tread. did you end up relocating your air pump or just removing it? i live in Colorado, so i don't think i need it. but just relocating it is fine too. cant send pm's til 10 posts, so this is one of them :p Going to do e fan soon and prob a ***** and have a aftermarket system that dims the lights bad right now, though only have the 100 amp alt, will prob upgrade to a 200 or 300 amp alt to help support the *****.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
With the right size hoses you can always relocate it. Just have to find room. Recall one person who put a heat shield around battery and mounted it to that. Little crowded but it worked.

Jon Valera

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a OBS Tahoe Limited and I'm looking for the best place to install my XS Power 3100D do you have any suggestions, is it possible to install it under the hood or is it looking like it needs to be in the back or possibly under the back seat? Thanks in advance for any helpful tips...

Prior to my acquiring my 99 Tahoe, i had two 97's. Both of the 97's came with the second battery tray installed and ready to accept the second battery. My 99 however has the air injection pump sitting in the second battery tray. Is there any way to relocate the air injection pump? I'm trying to remember if my 97's had an air injection pump and if so where it was mounted. Maybe i could possibly change to the earlier pump?

The attached picture shows the Pump and the Tray which even has the factory battery hold down and bolt in place.

Kyle