Dual Battery Setup In a 99

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prior to my acquiring my 99 Tahoe, i had two 97's. Both of the 97's came with the second battery tray installed and ready to accept the second battery. My 99 however has the air injection pump sitting in the second battery tray. Is there any way to relocate the air injection pump? I'm trying to remember if my 97's had an air injection pump and if so where it was mounted. Maybe i could possibly change to the earlier pump?

The attached picture shows the Pump and the Tray which even has the factory battery hold down and bolt in place.

Kyle

Attachments

• Second Battery Tray.jpg
    Second Battery Tray.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 115
OP
OP
99 2dr

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first Tahoe that has not had dual batteries. I am regularly out of cell reception range and like the reliability of the dual battery setup.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 99 has an empty battery tray just waiting to add another optima.
Is yours a CA emmisions model?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG, kill that squid! its attacking your battery tray!

You poor poor guys out in cali... I couldn't take all that emissions BS...

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Air pump was intoduced in 1999 since there was no diesel in that year that needed the extra battery the storage box was deleted and a pump added in its place.

OP
OP
99 2dr

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Ive been looking at it and I'm thinking that i need to move it then. Looks like it probably wouldn't be too hard. The other thing i was wondering is if i could remove it completely, plug the manifold holes and have Black Bear tune it out of the computer. Would a CA smog machine pick it up? I highly doubt that the old guy that smogs my truck would even remember it upon visual inspection.......

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
It would be discovered visually big time. It would be called out to if it applies or not and the techie would have to mark it as n/a so yes they will look for it.

TahoeTaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like where my (only) battery is, and the 2nd battery tray (storage box) is on the other side of the engine bay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh