DTC P0300

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LandRanger

LandRanger

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I opted to have local shop perform the work of rebuilding the top end of the engine using a DOD delete kit from AMSRacing. Everything was on track until the old cam was removed which revealed galled cam bearings. I had the shirt block sent to Carolina Machine Engines who will rebuild the bottom end and return for reassembly. Knowing what I know now I would have sent the long block to CME given the engine has 180k miles on it and saved about $3K and 2 weeks of time. Local machine shops wouldn't provide a price and all claimed to be slammed with work. CME will do for $1K plus $275 round trip shopping in 2 weeks.

I will post an update when it gets done.

Finally got the Tahoe back, this was a total financial fiasco. It's running great and no longer has AFM/DOD. If you have this failure in a vehicle with over 100K and you really like and want to keep it, I suggest you have the long block rebuilt with a AFM/DOD Delete kit such as the one we got from AMS Racing via Ebay, they flashed the ECM to remove the AFM from its programming and supplied a soup to nuts kit to replace with standard lifters and cam. Since we had already done the upper rebuild I only sent the short block to Carolina Machine Engines. Had I known to do the complete rebuild I would have opted to have CME do the long block and saved about 2K or more. Fortunately my Tahoe is in really good shape and I enjoy driving it so driving it a few more years to get some of the value from the rebuild is not a problem.

I hope my experience will help others that find themselves with a collapsed or failed lifter in a GM 5.3 with AFM/DOD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep