DSP Needed for 2008 Escalade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is primarily a Tahoe and Yukon forum but there are some Escalade guys on here so I'm hoping someone can help. The Cadillac forum doesn't have a separate section for audio and the only activity is pretty much people complaining about their 10 year old used cars. I'm putting together a budget system for the 2008 Escalade I just bought and I was planning on running rear speakers (maybe not immediately but eventually) so I was going to run the front components with the crossover that comes with them rather than bi-amping. Because of that and being on a low budget, I was hoping I wouldn't need a DSP for it to sound good.

I was looking at schematics and connector end views to figure out how I was going to connect the low levels from the factory radio to the amplifier and I realized that the radio in this truck has separate low level outputs for the center channel (which I won't be using) and for the subwoofer. The factory Bose amp will be going away and the aftermarket amp will be going in its place. I'm not sure if the factory radio having a separate low level for the sub is a good thing or a bad thing. That would mean the radio itself is separating the signals if I connect the front, rear, and subwoofer channels to the aftermarket amplifier separately.

So it seems there are two potential ways this goes: the radio could be sending frequencies to the wrong place and there would be nothing I could do about it without a DSP to feed all the signals. Or the radio does a good job with the splitting and it works out great. I guess the third but more unlikely option is radio could also be sending a full signal to the front/rear channels and then the amplifier's crossovers could do the work and I not use the sub low level from the radio.

Obviously, I know a DSP is the way to go but I don't really want to spend the money if I don't have to on this project. I also don't want to have to take the console all back apart in order to add a DSP after the fact if it sounds terrible. Does anyone have any experience with the radios in these trucks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firstcaddy