Drop struts and alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Gmoney15

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
With the 2/4 strut drop the bushings and the cam plates are a MUST! If I switch to the spindles I’ll probably swap out the arms the bushings are a ***** to press out

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the 2/4 strut drop the bushings and the cam plates are a MUST! If I switch to the spindles I’ll probably swap out the arms the bushings are a ***** to press out

By 2/4, you mean 2" front and 4" rear and you're saying that 2" strut drop in the front makes offset bushings AND cam plates a must?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

iamdub was asking what I was thinking :)
There was no way I was going to attempt removing the alignment bushings, that's why I just swapped arms.

By 2/4, you mean 2" front and 4" rear and you're saying that 2" strut drop in the front makes offset bushings AND cam plates a must?

Something doesn't sound right.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

iamdub was asking what I was thinking :)
There was no way I was going to attempt removing the alignment bushings, that's why I just swapped arms.

Something doesn't sound right.

Something is definitely not right.

I had the 2" spindles and the Belltech drop struts set for 2" of drop and the cam plates were all that were required.

I still have the drop spindles and now have the Rancho 9 way adjustable struts up front mounted below the control arm for 2 more inches and still only cam plates... alignment is spot on and doesn't wear tires.

I could see needing the bushings and cam plates if you were running drop struts below the control arm without spindles but that's about it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something is definitely not right.

I had the 2" spindles and the Belltech drop struts set for 2" of drop and the cam plates were all that were required.

I still have the drop spindles and now have the Rancho 9 way adjustable struts up front mounted below the control arm for 2 more inches and still only cam plates... alignment is spot on and doesn't wear tires.

I could see needing the bushings and cam plates if you were running drop struts below the control arm without spindles but that's about it.

My thoughts as well.

Did you have a shop swap the struts or did you do it yourself? If you did it, how did you compress the coil and did you fight the shaft nut to get it loose? Same questions for @992dr.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
My thoughts as well.

Did you have a shop swap the struts or did you do it yourself? If you did it, how did you compress the coil and did you fight the shaft nut to get it loose? Same questions for @992dr.

Not sure if your asking me or the OP.

In my case, my brother and I swapped the springs over onto the new struts. We used 2 sets (4 total) of spring compressors on each strut using an impact and moving back and forth to maintain even pressure.

The shaft nut didn't pose any issues.

This is the style of compressor we used...
rps20191127_231143_918.jpg

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My thoughts as well.

I did them myself (several times :) )and used the same/similar compressors Ken used but, I only had one set. Worked great and removing the nut was not an issue at all. I believe I left a little tension on the nut to remove it if not it will spin the shaft.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if your asking me or the OP.

In my case, my brother and I swapped the springs over onto the new struts. We used 2 sets (4 total) of spring compressors on each strut using an impact and moving back and forth to maintain even pressure.

The shaft nut didn't pose any issues.

This is the style of compressor we used...
View attachment 235028

Yeah, I was quoting/asking you. I had the same thought last night about getting another set of compressors cuz the ones I'm using (those same style as you posted) are bending and I believe I still have too much pressure on the nut. My impact just tries to turn the whole top plate assembly. I've swapped plenty of struts on cars but never on a full-size SUV like this.

I did them myself (several times :) )and used the same/similar compressors Ken used but, I only had one set. Worked great and removing the nut was not an issue at all. I believe I left a little tension on the nut to remove it if not it will spin the shaft.

I'm using a compressor kit borrowed from O'Reilly. Maybe it's a crappier set than what you used. I'm gonna do like Ken and get a second set. Or maybe I'll see how much the shop in town will charge me to swap the struts and not deal with the hassle.

Thanks for your replies!