DRL recall on 21-23 Tahoe/Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam_engler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to keep DRL fully enabled with headlights on? Recall makes DRL dim when headlights come on. I really like the way it looks when they are bright at night with headlights on. Absolutely stupid recall.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s not a “stupid” recall, it’s the law per federal motor vehicle safety standards. Best way to resolve that would be lobby your congressman.

Your your choice is not getting the BCM updated…

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FMVSS requires that DRLs be dimmed when the headlights are on so as not to blind oncoming drivers at night. The software that controls them is part of the BCM and nobody outside of GM has the ability to modify it. I get that it looks "cool", but it's not providing you any additional forward lighting at night...

OP
OP
adam_engler

adam_engler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It’s not a “stupid” recall, it’s the law per federal motor vehicle safety standards. Best way to resolve that would be lobby your congressman.

It's a stupid recall because they say the DRL is to bright so that's why they dim with headlights. The headlights are WAY brighter than the DRL so that's makes it a stupid recall. I garuntee those DRL on the brightest setting with the headlights on has never caused an accident because they blinded some one!

OP
OP
adam_engler

adam_engler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FMVSS requires that DRLs be dimmed when the headlights are on so as not to blind oncoming drivers at night. The software that controls them is part of the BCM and nobody outside of GM has the ability to modify it. I get that it looks "cool", but it's not providing you any additional forward lighting at night...
I've also read the DRL are supposed to be replacing the fog lights that aren't offered anymore on Tahoe or suburban. So if that's the case then I just don't see the reason of taking light away that's supposed to help you see more. And mine light up my entire garage when I drive into it before headlights turn on. So I completely disagree they don't provide any additional lighting.

OP
OP
adam_engler

adam_engler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I'm not trying to argue about weather this is stupid or not stupid, or wether it creates more light. I've been a mechanic for 20 year's so I'm aware that this is new software that's been downloaded into the BCM. I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows if it's possible to get it manually turned back on by GM's scan tool used in the dealership. My 23 Tahoe already has the update so that's why I'm asking this question.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a stupid recall because they say the DRL is to bright so that's why they dim with headlights. The headlights are WAY brighter than the DRL so that's makes it a stupid recall. I garuntee those DRL on the brightest setting with the headlights on has never caused an accident because they blinded some one!
Again, you may not like it, that is your prerogative. But you cannot blame the GM for it.

The federal motor vehicle safety standards, as passed by Congress, and issued and enforced by the NHTSA require the DRL’s to be deactivated when the headlights are on. GM provided all that detail on the exact FMVSS when they published the recall notice.

Thus; the recall brings the vehicle in compliance with the law…and if you don’t like that; your beef needs to be with the federal government; not with GM. Have you contacted your US Congressman or Senator and shared your opinion?

You could blame GM for not getting it correct on initial vehicle release; but you can’t blame them for operating within the laws of the country in which they sell the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep