Drivetrain noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Gerbil21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would figure on sliding the axles out to inspect those bearings and the axle surface when the cover is off.

I def will do, outer bearings were replaced 2 years ago so wouldn't expect em to be bad but I'm def not ruling them out

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The noise is what it is till just the moment it gets bad. It can be 50k down the road when it happens or 5k. If I missed it earlier in the post, sorry, but I don't remember you saying you had a rear pinion noise. C'mon man! Nothing stays the same forever. the noise is there and that is when to address it, not when it finally gets loud enough you can record and post here. It is metal working in a severe environment that uses oil to lube it. Eventually it will go bad. Things break down. Nuff said.

OP
OP
G

Gerbil21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The noise is what it is till just the moment it gets bad. It can be 50k down the road when it happens or 5k. If I missed it earlier in the post, sorry, but I don't remember you saying you had a rear pinion noise. C'mon man! Nothing stays the same forever. the noise is there and that is when to address it, not when it finally gets loud enough you can record and post here. It is metal working in a severe environment that uses oil to lube it. Eventually it will go bad. Things break down. Nuff said.

I thought I had mentioned it before and I def do know better of what to expect however it has seemed to be way to much of a coincidence for that to go at the same time as the front hub did, rear end only had slight noise prior and the way it mimicked a hub on turns it really threw me off, like I said before never had a rear end get to this point (and never intended to).

Also with the amount of noise made from the hub and the fact that it had no prior noise really threw me off too, once they were changed the current sounds were present but much less and for the life of me seemed to be from the front right.

Either way looks like I have some diff fluid to inspect and poss my first time to rebuild the rear end on my back in the street :shrug:or take it somewhere, in either way I'll update with pics and progress

OP
OP
G

Gerbil21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well some good news finally, finally got the chassis ears and was able to use them, In the video you'll hear the pass side for a sec then the driver side with the clip mounted on the rear diff front ears, then it'll switch to the passenger side front ear all while doing 20ish mph slaloms, you can def hear it on the pass side.

Also later in the vid I'll switch to the tcase and you can actually hear it in the background and not through the headphones, both tcase and front diff sounded quiet

Also got a 90k used diff I'll pick up tommorow to replace this 160k diff

OP
OP
G

Gerbil21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone have the service guide on how to swap the rear end, looks straight forward but just in case and for torque specs

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's more but the service manual copy is 11,818 pages and can only be searched manually

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had the rear replaced on out 08 with 170k. We tried to find a used one at first but most had too many miles for our comfort...so we decided to rebuild what we had and while in there, repace the Gov pin...which they said will go bad anyway at some point. $1500 later the rear is quite and she feels like she is accelerating smoother. IMHO, for us, money well spent. I look at it as two months car payments on a new one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh