Driveshaft Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
Are you putting out that much power that you twisted the driveshaft? How did you do that?
not at all, im at like 360 rwhp. Some people i know in the gcc are pushing double that on stock drivetrains. I guess its just the terrain, roads arent great lots of severe uphill driving (always in 2wd), lots of burnouts and donuts and larger tires so i guess i just managed to do what i did since the conditions were just right to destroy the shaft.

Sent from my SM-J730F using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
guess it was the teenager in me. would it kill GM to make things more durable :p. Landcruisers will never experience these issues.
See post #4.

So who was power braking the truck? Got any teenagers in the house?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
not at all, im at like 360 rwhp. Some people i know in the gcc are pushing double that on stock drivetrains. I guess its just the terrain, roads arent great lots of severe uphill driving (always in 2wd), lots of burnouts and donuts and larger tires so i guess i just managed to do what i did since the conditions were just right to destroy the shaft.

Yup, guess that'll do it lol.
guess it was the teenager in me. would it kill GM to make things more durable :p. Landcruisers will never experience these issues.

AGREED!

67RS427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see how at stock power levels you could have possibly twisted the driveshaft. Regardless of donuts or burnouts, that's actually easier on the shaft since your not hooking up. Hooking up is what would strain it or hitting critical speed/rpm. I beat the crap out of my OEM shafts that were manufactured in 2007 and had 150k miles with original u joints. I'm AWD so even worse since I launch hard (AWD Donuts too) with double the HP from the factory. My guess is you had a defect or the shaft was hit by something off-road or rock on the freeway. Without some sort of insane impact, theres no way you twisted the shaft with a stock engine.

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
I don't see how at stock power levels you could have possibly twisted the driveshaft. Regardless of donuts or burnouts, that's actually easier on the shaft since your not hooking up. Hooking up is what would strain it or hitting critical speed/rpm. I beat the crap out of my OEM shafts that were manufactured in 2007 and had 150k miles with original u joints. I'm AWD so even worse since I launch hard (AWD Donuts too) with double the HP from the factory. My guess is you had a defect or the shaft was hit by something off-road or rock on the freeway. Without some sort of insane impact, theres no way you twisted the shaft with a stock engine.
Awd isnt worse, power is split between the front and rear to a certain extent versus rwd where all the power is going straight to the back. My buddies in dubai are running 1000Hp + no problems. That being said the flat topography of such regions is quite forgiving on drivetrains. I have a lot of harsh inclines to go through in addition to daily stop-and-go scenarios on said inclines. So im hooking up vertically way more than others. I should have probably utilised the automatic drivetrain setting ro relieve stress on the components...but its a mileage killer. GM needs to up their game, these suvs are very nice and powerful, more so than japanese options, but the ruggedness that you get with a Nissan or toyota or even an HD GM product seems to not exist in the yukon and tahoe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan