Driveshaft Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SteveMansur

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced a weird grinding/ ticking noise from their driveshafts? Two independent mechanics informed me that the entire shaft must be replaced. Does anyone have any aftermarket suggestions?

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does sound like front CV joints (halfshafts).

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced a weird grinding/ ticking noise from their driveshafts? Two independent mechanics informed me that the entire shaft must be replaced. Does anyone have any aftermarket suggestions?

Did either of these two explain exactly why the whole thing needs replacement? Surely on the one hand it cannot all be bad. Worn/defective parts can be removed and new ones added, even the tube.

The originals for the GMT900s were made by AAM, American Axle & Manufacturing. Every town has a driveline shop that can make a new one for you Steve. Or you could see who carries AAM if they were the original supplier for your truck. Crawl under and see if there is a sticker on it. There is on each of mine.

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
Did either of these two explain exactly why the whole thing needs replacement? Surely on the one hand it cannot all be bad. Worn/defective parts can be removed and new ones added, even the tube.

The originals for the GMT900s were made by AAM, American Axle & Manufacturing. Every town has a driveline shop that can make a new one for you Steve. Or you could see who carries AAM if they were the original supplier for your truck. Crawl under and see if there is a sticker on it. There is on each of mine.
Im running 34.5 inch tires with a little extra Horsepower. They said the sound is due to the twisting of the driveshaft upon initial impulse from acceleration. I could get an oem replacement but the same thing would happen. Need to beef it up a little but its very strange since I spoke to a friend in the Emirates who told me this is not a common issue and its very common to see their trucks with 600HP+ and a lift run without driveshaft failure. I believe that I have over burdened it due to excessive 2wd driving on harsh inclines as well as some donuts on high traction surfaces. Its very strange I have been able to damage parts on this vehicle that dont normaly go bad even with the abuse they see in different regions of the world

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They said the sound is due to the twisting of the driveshaft upon initial impulse from acceleration.

I've never heard of such a thing. If your driveshaft is twisting, you would see evidence in the tube and in all likelihood it would have twisted itself in half by now. What make and model and year are you driving? The K2 Suburbans even have 1415 u-joints.

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
I've never heard of such a thing. If your driveshaft is twisting, you would see evidence in the tube and in all likelihood it would have twisted itself in half by now. What make and model and year are you driving? The K2 Suburbans even have 1415 u-joints.[/QUOT

2015 GMC Yukon SLE. I know it sounds uncommon but with all modesty, I have been known to damage things that dont normally go bad. Im sure replacing with oem wont work so since the dealers warranty doesnt apply I can probably attest to why it may be making twisting sounds. Brake boosting accelerations, burnouts, donuts on a small lift and 34.5 inch tires as well as "rock crawling" in 2wd could be the reason why the shaft may have degraded. Its making ticking and grinding noises whenever I put it in drive and whenever I accelerate mildly. Sound is amplified when going uphill and vice versa. /QUOTE]

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
015 GMC Yukon SLE. I know it sounds uncommon but with all modesty, I have been known to damage things that dont normally go bad. Im sure replacing with oem wont work so since the dealers warranty doesnt apply I can probably attest to why it may be making twisting sounds. Brake boosting accelerations, burnouts, donuts on a small lift and 34.5 inch tires as well as "rock crawling" in 2wd could be the reason why the shaft may have degraded. Its making ticking and grinding noises whenever I put it in drive and whenever I accelerate mildly. Sound is amplified when going uphill and vice versa.

Ok, Steve, what parts of the driveshaft move and degrade? Slip Yoke, Yoke and U-Joints. Ticking and grinding? So are your yokes ruined? New ones can be had, same with u-joints. Solid U-joints are strongest.

I reckon though that your rear axle would fail before your whole driveshaft.

@randeez @01ssreda4 @67RS427 @intheburbs

While there may be others, these fellas know more than I about axles and driveshafts in extreme conditions.

OP
OP
SteveMansur

SteveMansur

Reaction score
Ok, Steve, what parts of the driveshaft move and degrade? Slip Yoke, Yoke and U-Joints. Ticking and grinding? So are your yokes ruined? New ones can be had, same with u-joints. Solid U-joints are strongest.

I reckon though that your rear axle would fail before your whole driveshaft.

@randeez @01ssreda4 @67RS427 @intheburbs

While there may be others, these fellas know more than I about axles and driveshafts in extreme conditions.
I dont know exactly which components are causing the sound but it could be from the yoke and the drive shaft as there is a consistent ticking noise when D is engaged followed by a grinding noise upon slight acceleration.
Ill try to get a video up by tomorrow, the sound is very prominent it may help figuring this out. Thanks for the support.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it is your driveshaft then it must be some kind of defect, I drove the literal piss out of my nbs and broke everything but the driveshaft, I assume you have pulled the driveshaft out and verified? a ticking and grinding could be coming from other sources.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep