Driver Door Hinge Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t see this one in the archives. My driver door started making a clunking sound opening or closing at the 2nd notch. I lubed the bearing on the top hinge and looked for any loose bolts but found none? It’s an 07 Denali. The sound is pretty loud and definitely sounds like metal popping like pulling out a dent. Thanks

02Lightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the bottom roller rolling when you close the door? Mine gets locked up every so often and starts making noise, I have to free it up so it rolls again. I try to keep the rolling surface free of any lubricants and try to lube the axel.

OP
OP
Big Mama

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have been doing it wrong. The bearing does roll but I’ve been lubing everything that moves on both hinges with spray lubricant. Should I clean them off with degreaser and just lube the pin?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, try to get some inside that bearing. I hate when it happens on my passenger's door! It'll be silent for months and all of a sudden creak and groan and then it goes away again. Makes it look like I don't take care of my rides!

techbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, try to get some inside that bearing. I hate when it happens on my passenger's door! It'll be silent for months and all of a sudden creak and groan and then it goes away again. Makes it look like I don't take care of my rides!

Try liquid Teflon in a can. The Teflon forms a slick layer on the moving parts and the spray nozzle makes it easy to get the lubricant into the bearing. My door hinges made a dry grinding noise until I lubricated them with Teflon.

Rednek

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i hit mine today with some liquid wrench white lithium grease. noise is gone. and its sticky so it will stay there for a while.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to free the roller first and then, once free, apply a lasting lube.

Try PB Blaster or another penetrating lube, make sure the roller rolls freely, then coat all moving parts with lithium grease. Re-lube at least once every 90 days.

OP
OP
Big Mama

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve used PB from the beginning and the roller has always rolled so I thought something else might be wrong. Same for my driver side window. When it’s cold it screeches like crazy. No luck with that one yet. It’s not the regulator or it’s rollers or tracks. If I push out on the window the screech stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11